It sucks when your dog dies...

Dan Gonzales

Well my four legged buddy fell asleep on the kitchen floor for the last time. It actually happened last week but I went to pick up his ashes today and it put us all back into a downer mood.

It's not the same as losing a person, no comparison really. Yet for some reason God makes these creatures to fill in some part of our own souls. They love us, follow us, listen to us and trust us for a pat on the head and some food.

Twelve years ago I found a sick puppy in a church parking lot. He was with me for a couple of girlfriends before I married my wife and we had the kids, he was their buddy too. My companion on cross country trips, hiking, fishing, snow tramping, general shop and yard dog. We used to pull peoples legs and tell them he was an Amish Shepherd because he didn't use electricity, computers or drive a car.

On the other hand my three year old has composed a song in his honor sung to the tune of Little Bunny Foo Foo. I have to record it because a three year old's perspective on death is certainly unique.

Thanks for reading.

Elmo 1997-2009

IMG_3114a.JPG

Dan, I am sorry to hear about Elmo, dogs are truly mans best friend. They love us and we love them for who we/they are.

Alan

I understand your grief. We have lost 2 dogs in the last year, a chow/shepard mix and an English Setter--both loved members of the family. We now have a rat terrier and a black lab/Plott hound mix from a rescue. It is truly amazing to be with them--they are best friends and at the same time highly competitive. We just knew when it was time to get new family members; you will too.

Hi Dan, sorry to hear about your dog, beautiful dog at that. But twelve is not really that old or maybe my luck has been better than yours. What did he died from? It doesn't sound like he was overweight or from lack of exercise. In any event, very nice looking dog and thanks for sharing. We just lost one of ours a few weeks ago but she (Bearded collie) was closer to sixteen - seventeenish.
:)

Well my four legged buddy fell asleep on the kitchen floor for the last time. It actually happened last week but I went to pick up his ashes today and it put us all back into a downer mood.

It's not the same as losing a person, no comparison really. Yet for some reason God makes these creatures to fill in some part of our own souls. They love us, follow us, listen to us and trust us for a pat on the head and some food.

Twelve years ago I found a sick puppy in a church parking lot. He was with me for a couple of girlfriends before I married my wife and we had the kids, he was their buddy too. My companion on cross country trips, hiking, fishing, snow tramping, general shop and yard dog. We used to pull peoples legs and tell them he was an Amish Shepherd because he didn't use electricity, computers or drive a car.

On the other hand my three year old has composed a song in his honor sung to the tune of Little Bunny Foo Foo. I have to record it because a three year old's perspective on death is certainly unique.

Thanks for reading.

Elmo 1997-2009

IMG_3114a.JPG

Last edited:
Dan, I'm real sorry to see this news. As someone who has only had four-legged kids, I know the empty spot that's created when they leave us.

Dan,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.. Now you need to turn him a box to rest in..
I make a few lidded boxes that my wife insists on calling pet urns.. she even promotes this that way in my booth...

Make one for Elmo and you can keep him around for a while longer.

Dan
Beautiful Dog..

You will have great memories, I forwarded this letter to my pastor who lost their dog a few months back...

He was telling me about the it again the other day. The eyes light up with the great stories and then well up at the memory of the loss..

When someone tells me how much it hurts to lose some one or a precious pet I always think the only way to avoid the hurt is to avoid the love. I'll take the hurt for all the great memories of the love..

Garry

Very sad. But, as with people, it is inevitable.
Another reason I won't have pets.

Frank, if that's true, you don't know what you are missing. We've had 9 Irish Setters in our 32 years of marriage, 2 of which are still with us. Each one has it's own personality, and created unspeakable joys in our lives. Neither Glenna nor I can imagine not having an Irish in our lives. Don't know what we will do when we are too old to handle a Setter. While it hurts to lose one, we lost littermates last summer from our first litter about 3 weeks apart, the hurt is overshadowed by the unconditional love they gave us. Some of ours lived 13-14 years, one was only 9 months old when we lost her on the operating table. Don't let the hurt of losing one rob you of the love you get to share while they are with you. Jim.

Losing you buddy is rough, we lost our schnauzer 2 years ago at the age of 14 and have not got another. don't know if I want/can go thru that again. So I get my doogie fix thru friends pets, thanks Webster:)