It sucks when your dog dies...

Losing you buddy is rough, we lost our schnauzer 2 years ago at the age of 14 and have not got another. don't know if I want/can go thru that again. So I get my doogie fix thru friends pets, thanks Webster:)

Yeah. It took nearly three years after my 13 year old Schnauzer, Schultz, passed before I was emotionally ready to get Shana (see my Avatar, above). She'll be two next month.

Our other Schnauzer, Bitsy, a black mini is getting old now, and has slowed down a lot in the past few months. We're not exactly sure of her age - she was a rescue - but we've had her for nearly nine years. Losing her will be a trauma, too!

In the 43 years my wife and I have been married, we've had six Schnauzers, two Poodles, a Chihuahua, and several 'mutts.' We've loved them all, and they've all provided us with unconditional love, too.

Dan,
I really feel sorry for you & your family.
When I had to put our 17 yr old Chow/collie mix down I sat on the floor holding her & cried like a baby for a hour.

They just become so much a part of us. I think the thing that helped us was we had another dog to take a bit of the hurt away. My wife & I have to have a dog the house doesn't feel like a home without one.

Please think of getting another one it will help a lot.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It was just a downer afternoon and of the forums that I belong to this one seemed to be the best fit. The picture was taken last summer in the long grass portion of the yard.

twelve is not really that old or maybe my luck has been better than yours. What did he died from? It doesn't sound like he was overweight or from lack of exercise. In any event, very nice looking dog and thanks for sharing.

Boyd - He was sick with distemper when I found him, according to the vet this would shorten his lifespan if he survived the infection. He eventually died of a tired out heart. But 12+ years is still pretty good for an 80 pound dog. He was a good looking mutt, our best guess was a mix of German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever and American Pit Bull Terrier. He was a good watch dog, watched everyone walk in and walk out.

We've had 9 Irish Setters in our 32 years of marriage, 2 of which are still with us. Each one has it's own personality, and created unspeakable joys in our lives.

Jim - I grew up with Irish Setters and hunted with them. My wife really has a problem not understanding their boisterous nature. But none of my Irish ever had the nature of this hound. Through his life he was a house dog, a yard dog, a snow dog and for four years a downtown Boston apartment dog. Time will tell what kind of dog will be running around with me in the future.

Cheers to all.

Having lost a couple of my best friends in the last couple of years, I feel your pain. These little 4 legged kids sure have a way of digging a hole in your heart.

My condolences to you...

.... You know, sometimes I have often thought that our second family kids, our dogs, is a way that God gives us the opportunity to express acceptance for Him, in a child-like manner and in a loving, unconditional way.

.... Just sharing my thoughts.

:thumb:

Having lost a couple of my best friends in the last couple of years, I feel your pain. These little 4 legged kids sure have a way of digging a hole in your heart.

My condolences to you...

Condolences.

Some people think - oh, they are just dogs.

Some people think - oh they are like my kids.

I am in the second group.

I lost "brandy" a few years ago - but I still remember her licking my feet - and laying at my feet on the couch. If I changed position she jumped down - watched me settle in - then jumped up to nestle in at my feet. I miss her.

I now have two dogs (kids) and I think about this stuff often.

Ohhh - why do they live lives so much shorter than ours?

Our companions.

Would you like me to make an engraved picture frame with your dogs name?
Of course I will not charge you. Proly Cherry with black letters, I will also add some sort of design - I will do a preview before actually making it.

If you would like that please PM me.

Leo

Leo,

Thank you very much for the kind offer. We have snapshots around the house of the pooch with the rest of us through the years. Your thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated but please don't trouble yourself.

All the best.