Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendataions..

Looking for recommendataions..

For a new miter gauge and a tenon jig. This weekends adventures in saw work, proved that I really need to get a better miter gauge than what came with my saw. I am looking for one that will adjust to the slot width without breaking the bank. Also, I think it would be wise to pick up a tenon jig, any definate recomendations? I see that Grizz has one in the new catalogue at ~$59, Thoughts.. good, bad, indifferent?

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    FWIW, I have the Kreg miter gauge and the Delta tenon jig. Both adjust easily to the miter slot and have no slop at all. With a little practice, I got good enough on the tenon jig that I can cut the tenon just a hair proud and get a tight fit in the mortise with a few swipes of a sanding stick.

Brent, I also have the Delta tenon jig. I paid $99.00 at Johnsons a few years back. A bit more than maybe you hoped to spend, but it was in a test by FWW (IIRC) along with some other tenon jigs, and did very well or maybe it was rated #1 (can't remember for sure) . I based my decision to buy it based on the article from FWW.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

What saw and what miter gage do you have now? Curious because I have never had one that was loose in the slot. Wondering if you have a mismatched set there.

As for Tenoning jigs I tried one and the checks were not square so I gave up on that and just do them with my miter gage and dados. So I can't offer any suggestions there.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Jeff, the gauge that I have now is the one that shipped with my pm64. not the greatest but servicable for most things, joints not included. Good point however on the use of dado's for the tenons, by not splitting my budget I can do better on the miter gauge while getting features that I can use more!!

Brent,

I have the Grizzly tenon jig that you are looking at. It is very good. I think that they are all about the same but the good thing about the Grizzly is that it comes with very good instructions and I understand that some do not. I have seen some guys on other forums that save five bucks by buying another brand on sale and pirate the instructions from Grizzly on line. I personally think that is pretty crummy and have said so and then I get jumped all over. In any case, I do not think that you can go wrong with the Grizzly.

I have the Incra V 27. It is very accurate and has adjustments to make it fit your slot exactly. It will not brake the bank either. I think that I bought mine from WoodCraft. You might find a better price but here is the link to theirs. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4787

I have and love the Incra Miter 1000SE. I highly recommend it. I hesitated to spend the money, but I'm very glad I did. And comparatively speaking, the Incra is priced competitively.

I haven't had a need for a tenoning jig, but just last night I saw a picture of a tenoning jig someone had fabricated to attach to the Incra 1000SE, and it uses the Incra flip-stop's micro adjust to fine tune the tenon. I don't recall where on the web I saw the pictures, but if I find them I'll post a link. (I was on a different computer last night, so it's not in my History on this computer now.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

One more question Brent. Whats the problem with you miter gage? Sloppy fit in the slot? That is what I was assuming but that would surprise me with PM saw.

Of is it setting the angle accurately? I use a couple of OLD Delta miter gages so I am curious.

Vaughn what is it you like about yours? The accuracy for setting angles? I have just never seen a reason to spend that kind of money on one. But, we work differently so we have different needs. But you may know something I don't and need too.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Jeff, the original gauge doesnt fit well in the slots... sloppy. Not a lot, but when I am trying to cut square joints, its enought to bug the bejeezzus outta me. I am thinking right now on one of the Incras or a JessEm

I've got the JDS and it's just OK. If I were buying right now, I'd be looking at one of the Incra units or the Jessem (or possibly Woodhaven). If you want a good one for use on the bandsaw though, get the small Incra V27.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/