Need help - How to attach leather to wood???

Well, I guess it's obvious that all control of this thread is lost! :rofl::rofl:

Vaughn, when will I learn to be more specific. :rolleyes: :doh:

Frank, yeah that is what I was intending when my fingers went haywire on my keyboard. Mine isn't near as pretty as their's is though.

Lee, I've never seen one as fancy as the LN either. And, I don't believe they need to be. The kinda crude looking old timey styles work just fine.

Attachments

• web_Shaving%20Horse%20Solid%20Oak.jpg
    web_Shaving%20Horse%20Solid%20Oak.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 14
Updated with picture of project

Frank,

Years ago I'd seen a picture of one similar in design to yours. I'd thought about making one but didn't have any room at the time.

I'm sure your's works just as good as the one I made. I just kinda liked the looks of the Lie-Nielsen and decided I ought to give it a try.

I've attached a photo of my work-in-progress. I still have to glue down the leather and I still plan on making a seat (even though it doesn't feel half bad sitting on it as is).

Regards,

Attachments

• Draw horse FWW.jpg
    Draw horse FWW.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 17
Lee : You can go to any shoe Repair Shop. Thay can order a small can of Barge or Master cement for you from their suppler. I have been in Shoe Repair for about 64 years. These cements are exelent for glueing leather to any thing. It will still be flexable. Apply to both serfaces. If one surface is very pourus, you can buy a small amount of primer from the shop owner. This cement will hold extreamly well.
Ron

Ron - Thanks for the info on the cement. I found a local store that carries Barge cement. I bought a tube (since I don't know how much use I'll have for it once I do this small project) and I was able to get one piece attached to the flat surface. :thumb: This evening I cut a piece of 7 oz leather to surround the piece that applies the pressure to the wood being held. I applied the cement to both parts and should be able to give it a try tomorrow evening.

Dale - Not sure about the color scheme ;) (although my Father-In-Law would love it) but the seat would probably be better than one I could fabricate! Seriously, I'm going to see if I can cut out a seat blank and carve it so it fits my contours. :eek::p

We'll see how it goes. Appreciate the input.

Maybe this wont matter much for your shave horse but you generally want vegetable tanned leather to avoid having wood stained by other types. I know liquid hide glue works well for sticking it on to wood.

Frank,

Years ago I'd seen a picture of one similar in design to yours. I'd thought about making one but didn't have any room at the time.

I'm sure your's works just as good as the one I made. I just kinda liked the looks of the Lie-Nielsen and decided I ought to give it a try.

I've attached a photo of my work-in-progress. I still have to glue down the leather and I still plan on making a seat (even though it doesn't feel half bad sitting on it as is).

Regards,

Yours should be a dandy, lookin' fine right now.
For the record, I just kinda borrowed the picture of the one I posted from the Internet. I don't have a shaving horse. When I need to drawknife something I use my big ole post vice outside. BTW, why use the leather at all? Better grip mebbe? I would think wood would grip just fine by itself. I dunno....:dunno:

Thanks for the info Doug. Good to know about the tanning aspects.

Thanks Frank. As for the leather, that's exactly my thoughts. A better grip and I guess it might prevent the piece that's held from getting dented or mucked up, which I guess might only be applicable for pieces that were almost finish ready.

Here's a seat for ya Lee. It's a Scottish design to be
used when wearing a kilt.

2001660011881377377_rs.jpg
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kevin,

That is tooooo funny. :rofl::rofl: I won't even ask where you found the picture. :eek:

I will, however, say that my seat will be somewhat different than that one!! :D :D