Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRRRRRRRRR Not happy with my Nova1224-44

GRRRRRRRRR Not happy with my Nova1224-44

Here I am trying to finish a 14" platter. Installed a vacumn chuck to hold it. Almost have the back leveled and ready to sand and BANG! The lathe stops! What the !

Open the belt compartment and the belt is stuck next to the housing. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Mess around with it and find that the slow speed pulley on the motor side spins around without the rest of the pulley or motor moving. The one setscrew on the large end does nothing to help.

The customer who wanted the platter wants to see it this Saturday. I'll have to take it as is and explain that there's more work to do. Hope he doesn't need it RIGHT NOW!

Was unable to get through to Technatool service. U.S. office shuts down at 2:30 PM est. Hope they get back to me, but I'll have to tear the headstock down to repair.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

1224-44 ???

Did you mean 1624-44, ? I have the 1624 and have never had any major problems with it.I did have a problem with the banjo comin loose on me an I called him up an he had me a new one over night.Hope you get it fixed OK,sounds like the pully broke apart.Tim is usually real good at getting replacement parts out to you,If you can get him 1st thing in the morn,he will ship it the same day.Good luck.
    Ken
    Last edited by Ken Ward; 06-11-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Got through to Tim today. He's been very busy. He won't be able to get the replacement out till the 17th, plus 3 days in transit puts it at the 20th. This is the second problem I've had with my "1624-44" (oops on the 12224). The first was with the tail stock. The reason I'm ticked off is the timing. If it had happened this past winter, it wouldn't have been such a problem.

I still believe that Nova makes good stuff!

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Glad to see Tim's got you covered, albeit with a bit of delay. Sometimes it seem problems wait until the most critical moments to rear their ugly heads.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'll give you $50.00 for it! (the lathe not the platter!)
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I bid $51.01 for the lathe...
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

$51.02, and i'll throw in larry's beard...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

NO ONE ELSE BID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to see Dan actually try to get Larry's beard!!!!!!!!!! I don't know Dan, but do know Larry!!! I will retract my bid so I can place the fifty on Larry with odds so I can win and bid $100.00!!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

you think that's not the real larry in his avatar pic? wonder where his beard went?
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Update!

I took the unfinished platter to the market this morning. Showed it to my possible customer and his wife. They said yes, not only to this one, but a second platter and a shallow bowl out of the same piece of wood.

Here's what they liked!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First White Oak Platter.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	33543

And as I said, it's not done yet - needs some polishing and French Polish.

Bruce