GRRRRRRRRR Not happy with my Nova1224-44

Bruce Shiverdecker

In Memorium
Here I am trying to finish a 14" platter. Installed a vacumn chuck to hold it. Almost have the back leveled and ready to sand and BANG! The lathe stops! What the !

Open the belt compartment and the belt is stuck next to the housing. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Mess around with it and find that the slow speed pulley on the motor side spins around without the rest of the pulley or motor moving. The one setscrew on the large end does nothing to help.

The customer who wanted the platter wants to see it this Saturday. I'll have to take it as is and explain that there's more work to do. Hope he doesn't need it RIGHT NOW!

Was unable to get through to Technatool service. U.S. office shuts down at 2:30 PM est. Hope they get back to me, but I'll have to tear the headstock down to repair.

Bruce

1224-44 ???

Did you mean 1624-44, ? I have the 1624 and have never had any major problems with it.I did have a problem with the banjo comin loose on me an I called him up an he had me a new one over night.Hope you get it fixed OK,sounds like the pully broke apart.Tim is usually real good at getting replacement parts out to you,If you can get him 1st thing in the morn,he will ship it the same day.Good luck.
Ken

Last edited:
Got through to Tim today. He's been very busy. He won't be able to get the replacement out till the 17th, plus 3 days in transit puts it at the 20th. This is the second problem I've had with my "1624-44" (oops on the 12224). The first was with the tail stock. The reason I'm ticked off is the timing. If it had happened this past winter, it wouldn't have been such a problem.

I still believe that Nova makes good stuff!

Bruce

Glad to see Tim's got you covered, albeit with a bit of delay. Sometimes it seem problems wait until the most critical moments to rear their ugly heads. :rolleyes:

NO ONE ELSE BID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to see Dan actually try to get Larry's beard!!!!!!!!!! I don't know Dan, but do know Larry!!! I will retract my bid so I can place the fifty on Larry with odds so I can win and bid $100.00!!!!! :dunno::rofl::rolleyes:

Update!

I took the unfinished platter to the market this morning. Showed it to my possible customer and his wife. They said yes, not only to this one, but a second platter and a shallow bowl out of the same piece of wood.

Here's what they liked!

First White Oak Platter.jpg

And as I said, it's not done yet - needs some polishing and French Polish.

Bruce

I'm still not sure what the problem with your 1624 was. The smallest pulley on the motor set slides loose from the rest of the set? Is it not supposed to? Mine has slid back and forth since I got it out of the box. I'd love to know if this is not supposed to be so that I can contact Tim as well and get this situation fixed.

This kind of "Crap" happens with my cheap lathes but with the $$$ you paid, I would think you shouldn't have to worry with any breakdowns for a long time. I may re-evaluate my future upgrades.

It appears that there are two types of pulley. One with the separate slow speed - the one I have. the second is a solid pulley. That is the one being sent to me as a replacement.

Doug, it is NOT supposed to do that - it is supposed to be press fitted into the rest of the pulley.

Bruce

Thanks. I understand now. Mine will slide in and out very easily. Guess I've never noticed because I've never felt the need to go down to the slowest speed. (And I hesitated buying because I was afraid it didn't go slow enough.) I guess I need to call Tim and see about him sending me out a new motor pully. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill, don't let this deter you from the Nova 1624. It is a great lathe. If there is a solid pulley, that tells me that they found the problem and the remedy shortly afterward. I'm guessing that all the newer ones come out with the solid pulley on them direct from the factory.

I've always wondered why that smallest dude floated around like it does. Not enough, I guess, to find out though. Now I know and will get it fixed.

Nova 1624

This kind of "Crap" happens with my cheap lathes but with the $$$ you paid, I would think you shouldn't have to worry with any breakdowns for a long time. I may re-evaluate my future upgrades.

Bill don't get disgruntled about this lathe.It doesn't matter what tool you buy or how much you spend,as they all can have problems.You name em an somewhere somebody has one that has broke at some point.Its just how often an how is there service.As for the 1624,I'vhad mine for two yrs an love it.I did have a problem with the banjo a few weeks ago,called Tim an had a new one in,(I think) 3 days.

God Bless all
Ken