Thread: No More Excuses

No More Excuses

Brendan McAreavy posted this link on another forum (he's a member here too), and I figured folks here might enjoy seeing it. Kind of makes some of our excuses pretty lame. Although it's not the main point of the video, there is some woodworking involved. Woodturning specifically, but I think it's an inspiration to any woodworker, flat or round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1IBC9JHh0
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thank you Vaughn. That was very inspirational, not only to us as woodworkers but in general. You are dead right no more excuses.
    He is a special individual.
    cheers

What do you expect? He's a buckeye!

Very true, no excuses but you need to be made of a "special" paste. This is something that amazes me, why people when facing similar situation or circumstances react in a different way.

What makes the difference between pulling yourself together in front of adversity and overcoming a bad situation and giving yourself up and not even try it.

Lack of energy, confidence, character, faith,hope ?

Why some people who under normal circumstances tend to be depressed and somewhat passive, when facing real extreme situations react in a complete different way taking the initiative and solving it, when before they would get depressed if they got a traffic fine.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

People with disabilities that have huge support from the people closest to them often strive to overcome the challenges they face everyday.

Its difficult for me (meaning me only)to question anyone's reasons for anything unless (until) I walked a mile in their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    People with disabilities that have huge support from the people closest to them often strive to overcome the challenges they face everyday.

Its difficult for me (meaning me only)to question anyone's reasons for anything unless (until) I walked a mile in their shoes.
    Completely agree Allen, and even then as we (or me) are not equal to that same person our reaction will be different, I think that there are so many variables involved that make true the saying "Never say I will not drink from that water" ( directly translated)
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

amen toni, I had to skip going to barnes and noble today(a bookstore out here) because after spending a few hours in lowes reading labels, the eyes just refused to work anymore.
    I never thought in a million years a big galoof like me would have a problem such as I have, a million to one longshot actually.

Having said that, I think alot of people with disabilities are not quitters or lazy, but there is a point when one has to understand their limitations or place themselves in some risk which just isnt worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Having said that, I think alot of people with disabilities are not quitters or lazy, but there is a point when one has to understand their limitations or place themselves in some risk which just isnt worth it.
    Amen to that as well Allen, I would say that being concious of one's limitations is the first step to be able to push them further. Which is not the same as refusing to accept reality.

BTW I know how you feel, going to buy a product an not being able to read the label even stretching your arms is something that struck me some time ago and I haven't got used to it yet ( but getting there)
    Best regards,
    Toni