Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dovetails straight from the saw!

Dovetails straight from the saw!

Hi guys.
    Everyday before working on any project, or even if I don't work on any I commit myself to cut at least one set of dovetails for practicing. Some days I cut two or more.

Well; three days ago something made "click" and fell in place and my dovetails started to be almost perfect straight from the saw. ( notice I say almost).

The best thing is that I can achieve these results consistently, and I can make them quite fast, (these took me about 12 minutes) so it is not a matter of luck. Now I have to improve my chiseling technique while I maintain and improve this standard, because the inner part of the joint is still lousy.

I know that this is no big deal for many of you, because you reached this stage long ago, but for me is quite an achievement so I wanted to share my joy with you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dvtls02.jpg   dvtls03.jpg   dvtls04.jpg   dvtls01.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I might have to toss out my Leigh and send all my dovetails to you!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

tony i think yu give many to much credit,, i think your on a level of dovetails that is higher than alot of folk here they look great..much better than any i made.. congrats on finding the right way to hold the saw
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I might have to toss out my Leigh and send all my dovetails to you!
    It would be better if you sent me the Leigh and started practising. It would prevent you falling into the temptation of using it!!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Way to go Toni!

That certainly is a good way to learn, do a little everyday

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    tony i think yu give many to much credit,, i think your on a level of dovetails that is higher than alot of folk here they look great..much better than any i made.. congrats on finding the right way to hold the saw
    Thanks Larry, but it wasn't the way I was holding the saw but finding exactly the right distance from the line I should cut them.
    Best regards,
    Toni

And in oak, yet! None of that pine stuff... Nice going, Toni! Practice does indeed make for perfection.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Your dedication to practice is what sets you apart from others.

Practice makes perfect and those look perfect to me. Nice job figuring out what works for you

Really nice dovetails. Wow, I wish I had practice wood like that! The best I can do is popular or pine.