Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New scarfing jig * Version 3.0

New scarfing jig * Version 3.0

After ripping up my thumb with that nasty kickback I finally got to the shop today. I still had one my cut to make using the jig that bit me. I was very reluctant but I had to make more cut so that that parts would mate up.

Once it was done I felt a little vindication and a lot of relief!

Then I moved on to a new jig. I had decided I was going to just cut out the knots in the middle of these long pieces on the RAS. Then I would just build a jig to sit on the RAS table and cut the actual scarf. After a lot of looking and trying stuff I came back to the fact the table saw is the best tool for this operation. One cut and your done. No new setups. No double cuts. No fuss no muss.

I gave in and built a new jig that I think is better than the sled. No chance of pulling a part back into the blade. The off cut just falls on the table where I can see it. The left handedness of this jig put me out of the line of fire. And I added some walnut handles I had laying around I never used and these keep my hands well away from the blade of the 'line of fire'.

Made a couple of cuts and I like it, don't trust it yet but it seems to work OK.

Still looking for better clamping method but being so close to the blade it's hard to clamp the parts.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 06-13-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Fat thumb in the way of typing
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

A couple observations; first I would clamp that rig to the RAS table so I didn't have to move the material past the blade. This is a great job for a RAS. Second, assuming I don't know something (very likely) and that you have a perfectly good reason for not using the RAS; I would cut the scarf on a wider board and then rip the strips from it. Idea number two may also have issues based on something I am not aware of ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

What kind of RAS do you have? I don't understand why you'd need to make a jig or a double cut with the RAS.

I've made the same cut to the one you illustrate on my RAS on 2 by 4's for the roof trusses for Ned's shop.

The reason for the scarfs is because of the garbage lumber we get around here. What I am doing (most times) is cutting out of the middle of a strip of wood that might be 10 to 16 feet long. So I may be cutting 4-5 foot from the end. I cut out the knots and glue it back together. It the only consistent way to get good clear stock.

With my RAS against the wall it can't reach but MAYBE 2 foot from the end? I agree is it the perfect tool and if I were just cutting the ends off like in the photo. But this was just a scrap piece to test the jig.

If I start making a lot of kits, I will probably buy a cheap craftsman RAS and dedicate it cutting scarfs. Put it on wheels where I can roll it out in the middle. But that is probably quite a ways off before I can justify that.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

With the RAS against the wall, yeah, it would be hard to cut in the middle of a 10' long board

One quick observation, to avoid any more kickbacks, or actually ejections of the cut off pieces, you should make a corresponding platform on the off cut side of the blade, so the pieces don't drop, or fall off when you cut them, the off cut platform does not have to move, just sit there to catch the off cut pieces.

Just a thought
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi Jeff.

I'm no jig expert at all but I think that if you placed the piece to be cut on the other side of the jig, you could place the first spring clamp closer to the end.

At the same time as the piece to be cut would have the support of the jig the strain on the clamps would be much less, and the piece less likely to move.

I don't know if I have explained myself well, I hope it makes sense or so I think
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni, if I understand your idea, I don't think he'd have more room for the clamps he's using now, but by moving the workpiece to the other side of the jig as you suggested, it opens up another possibility for clamping:

I agree with Stu's suggestion to have the cutoff "fall" on a platform the same height as the sled. Using this clamping idea, you could extend the sled to the other side of the blade, as long as you stop the cut before going all the way through the sled:

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great idea's Vaughn...

( I gotta use sketchup more... )

interesting how people think and ideas progress....

Quote Originally Posted by Bartee Lamar View Post
    Great idea's Vaughn...

( I gotta use sketchup more... )

interesting how people think and ideas progress....
    Thats what makes this forum so GREAT!

Here we go...dressed up a bit more:

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com