Thread: Entertainment Unit

Hamilton, New Zealand

Entertainment Unit

I haven't posted anything for a while...however I have been lurking in the shadows watching what people are up to.

After finally being able to re-organize the workshop more to my liking I put together a much needed piece of furniture for the lounge.

The photos unfortunately are no as good as I would like. Both my wifes and my cameras dont seem to like lower level lighting. I had always thought Fuji made a good camera, but alas after owning these two I wont ever have another ( back to Canon methinks).

Anywho I hauled some of my roughsawn 4 x 2 (100 x 50) into the shed and set too. This is the result. I didnt work from a plan, I just measured my equipment and designed it on the fly.

The timber is native NZ Rimu (medium to hard wood). It has 2 coats of Wattyle Kauri Stain applied and two coats of Bees Wax polish to finish.
    The design and finish is semi rustic. I didnt sand the top completely flat as I wanted a used and aged look to this piece as it would suit the wood which is recycled from a factory.

The end panels are made from the same timber and are made up of 1/2 x 3" shiplapped pieces, somewhat like old chests and mairtime cases. The front ends of these pieces are exposed to show the shiplapping as a detail.

The only none native timber is the ply backing and the 4 ply pine interior sidepanels, which were stained.

Needless to say SWMBO loves it, as I do too because it took a mess and made a nice centre piece for the lounge. We are movie fans so this setup gets a lot of use. Next is the cabinet that will house the dvd collectiion which now stands at about 450 or so
    Err ... Me, make a mistake .. Never

ABQ NM
    That looks great, Ralph. Good to see you post, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Indianapolis area
    Hi Ralph! That really looks fantastic. LOML likes it too. I think her version of this has moved up on the honey do priority list.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Constantine, MI
    I love it. I hope one is in my future
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

falcon heights, minnesota
    good work ralph!
    benedictione omnes bene

Central (upstate) NY
    Very nice! Glad it all came together for you.

Looks like you found a home for everything. And the plants look good, too.

new york city burbs
    nice work!

Delton, Michigan
    good job ralph keep the flat work coming!!! we need all the support we can get
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!