SMC and the FWF

Just an afterthought. I like OP's use of FWF more than the current FW. I read it to mean "Family Woodworking Forums". That sums us up pretty well IMHO. I also like the symmetry of FWF.

Is it too late to change the monogram on the towels in the Administrators' Sauna ??

Tod, does the word "boot" carry any special meaning to you??:rofl: I' kidding, really!!!:D
I post at both places, but like others, not at SMC as much these days. I still respect many of the people that are there, and value their input. The "atmosphere" at SMC has changed some. I don't see it as dramatic, but there is an uneasy feeling, if you will. I think this will change as time passes and wounds heal. I have been very happy that everyone at SMC has been welcomed here with open arms. No animosity. No snide comments. This place is family now. Part of that is the smaller number of participants. I'm hoping that with growth, and it will continue, that we will be able to keep that feeling alive.
I do post at times on Woodnet, but I almost always wish I hadn't! :rolleyes: Jim.

Last edited:
OTOH I was asked personally by one of their mods if I was planning to contribute for 2007. My answer was: no way am I giving money to an organization that I can get kicked out of on the whim of a single person.

Wow. Is it just me or is that just a little bit tacky? I would personally be a bit offended if one of the moderators asked me to contribute. People donate as they see fit or are able to and it should be a private matter right up until the 2007 Contributor label appears by your name. I did contribute to SMC for 2007 but had I gotten the same question prior to donating I would have thought twice. I delayed donating there for a while for the same reason Lee mentioned, but figured if I ever get uninvited there, I'd be a test case requesting that my donation be refunded.

Tod, does the word "boot" carry any special meaning to you??:rofl: I' kidding, really!!!:D
. I still respect many of the people that are there, and value their input. .

gee thanks jim:eek: ........i too respect lots of the folks at sawmill creek, and miss some of the discussion.......oh-welllllll, for a few of us fallin` into a pile it sure smells like roses:D tod

Guess I'm By-Forum

I still lurk there (mostly watch the classifieds), have not posted in a while, seems much friendlier here. Lots of good people over there I miss talking with, several I don't, doesn't seem like any have missed me, but that's OK. No hard feelings, I just enjoy being here more.

Julio,

I'm one of the 'lucky' ones that has been 86'ed from the creek. (Actually, my userid is still there, but they've hosed the account so I can't login.) Since they made it so I can't login, I don't even browse there anymore.

I'm pretty satisfied with the way things are working out here. I think we've done a good job making it so that the things that polluted the creek CAN'T happen here. ;)

- Marty -

Wow. Is it just me or is that just a little bit tacky? I would personally be a bit offended if one of the moderators asked me to contribute.
He didn't ask me to, he asked me if I was going to...not quite the same thing. He knew I was displeased with some of the "executive decisions" because I had PM'd several mods during the Frank Pellow incident.

I do post at times on Woodnet, but I almost always wish I hadn't! :rolleyes: Jim.

Boy, you got that one right!!!!

I really missed out on all of the things that happened over at SMC but figure that it was not good. The only thing that I really knew was that Frank was real unhappy about something and the next thing that I knew a member of this forum from the east coast of Florida sent me an email and invited me here. I am sure glad that he did as I see a lot of good people here. It was and is appearing more and more that things over at SMC are a lot of the way it should be and not the way it really is which can be frustrating. That was starting to happen in the last thread that I posted in.

I still look over there but have not been very active. I will respond to someone asking a question about something that I have that I have information about. I think that this will be a great place when it becomes a little larger, not to large, and more and more information is being exchanged without being reprimanded. I really like the fact that so far no trouble makers have shown up. That may be due to the way you guys are running this place. Good Job!!!

Allen

As I recall, he'd ask "can we count on your support?" whenever someone voiced something with the odor of criticism. Not very subtle, and after a dozen or so times it started to sound like a Bartles & James commercial in reverse.

I only became a member over there to post a response to a classified add last april, though I used to lurk some before that. I mostly read FWF and WC these days.

As I recall, he'd ask "can we count on your support?" whenever someone voiced something with the odor of criticism. Not very subtle, and after a dozen or so times it started to sound like a Bartles & James commercial in reverse.

I only became a member over there to post a response to a classified add last april, though I used to lurk some before that. I mostly read FWF and WC these days.

Hey john and we're glad you feel at home here with the Family..

First let me say that this sure is a hot topic, 3 pages of posts in something like 6 hours :eek:

I'm also very pleased to see that it is a civil discussion, way to go people! :thumb:

I've still got a lot of friends over at SMC, and while I do go to take a look at the turners forum, from time to time, I too was not able to post there, until recently, when my account became active again... :dunno:

Not complaining at all, just mentioning that the powers that be changed my account status.

I will also say, again, that Keith very generously offered whatever help that Aaron, the main admin at SMC, could give in helping us fix the problem with Family Woodworking when it went down recently, as it was, it was just a MySQL database problem imposed by our former host, but the offer was still a nice one to get.

I'm fairly active at "The Wood Works" another great site, and I post at the Australian woodworking site too, but not so much anymore. To be honest, I'm just too busy here to do much surfing elsewhere :rolleyes: so please, double post!!

Cheers!

I cross post on three forums, though I lurk over on woodnet, I'm Active here because I like what the founding ten have done, and they're a bunch of good guys. I also frequent the WWA, who are a similarly friendly bunch of folks. I think most of the FWF values are there too fwiw. I very occasionally check in over at woodnet just long enough to remember why I don't go there very often. And I still frequent the creek, but most of my good friends are here more than there, so I hang out here much more often. I also like to visit the galleries over on woodcentral, pretty amazing stuff there, plus some neat turners chats and tips.

Internet forums are funny critters folks. Group dynamcs change, and with the exception of just a couple of forums, nothing stays the same forever. I'm sure woodnet in its beginnings was much les chaotic. have fun and have a good night!:type: I'm going to go scroll a bit, if I can find the vershugener #5 blades. My kid hid them on me and now doesn't know where they are. :doh: :bang:

It is important to me that this discussion has occured and that it has remained civil. I am just a leaf on a limb that believes in the trunk that began and supports this whole tree ( forum :) ). It is not money, it is honesty, hardworkers, people willing to share, believers in fair, and bigger than the mole that burrows in and destroys from the inside. Let us do our best to feed the healthy tree and be cautious not to become borers... If I bore you let me know...:rofl: :rofl:
Shaz

I tend to head for the hand tool forum no matter which site I visit. I'm very interested in seeing the hand tool forum(s) here succeed. (We knuckle draggers are in the minority on all the sites I know of.)

Ian, I am going to do something that may sounds a little odd, but it's one of the great things about this forum. I can and not get kicked off. :thumb:

Since your a knuckle dragger have you spent anytime in the Hand Tools forum over at Woodnet? It's not like the rest of their forums and those guys are like the guys here. A real sense of family and by far some of the most knowledgeable Neanders you will find. I have learned tons from them. The only way they could improve would be to move to here! :D

1. I have friends at both sites and will continue to post at both as long as I'm allowed.

2. I really don't understand what happened....don't know all the details...don't know that I want to know all the details...it's history....

3. I know that 1/2 of my turning tools came from folks that were founders here. I think of them every time I pick up those tools.

another pocket of change

well julio i was one of the guys that saw his friend get bounced and voiced my opinions to a few of the elders there and got a unfavorble response, i still post alittel there and did contribute last year more than the alottment asked for. felt they had earned it from what i had learned,, but i have more friends here than there. and yes they were there once. this is the way it used to be there. i dont say alot and my post count shows that in either place. i was taught to be seen and not heard.. well they showed me alot and i learned! i went here when i got invited. democracy rules not dictatorship!

I'm glad I'm here, don't "go there" very often, maybe three times since December, miss some of the people over there, hopefully they may migrate over here but, all that being said we've got a great beginning, and some very talented people! So who cares about comparisons!

I wish Mark Singer would start cross posting tho! HINT HINT HINT

Jay