SMC and the FWF

ken, as long as you don`t cuss too much or post neekid pics you`ll be allowed to post here to your hearts content;)

Especially if they are neekid pics of Ken turning :eek::eek::eek:

Not much to add, I think this is a great place, and SMC certainly has a great bunch of members, I'd just say it is a different flavour, one is not right or the other wrong, just different.

The great thing is, we can all get together and help each other out with this thing called woodworking :thumb:

Cheers!:D

Since your a knuckle dragger have you spent anytime in the Hand Tools forum over at Woodnet?

Absolutely, Jeff - I discovered Woodnet around the same time as SMC. I like the hand tool forum there very much. I have more posts there than I ever had on SMC.

And even though it's operated as a commercial enterprise, I've never felt the ads to be obtrusive nor have I ever sensed any undue influence by advertisers. I also admire the Mods over there - conflicts are rare and the moderation is even-handed. And when people were banned, their names were posted along with the reason for their removal. I doubt if those banned felt good about it, but at least they felt it proper to offer some justification and not simply "disappear" the offending members.

I'm happy that we've adopted a relaxed attitude about discussing other forums. It's silly to pretend that they don't exist because many of us browse and post in several locations. It's a big ole internet world and it's silly to try and pretend that any one forum meets everyone's needs. If we've got good content, the word will spread to other forums and that's where new members will come from. Conversely, if there's an exceptionally good thread on WC or another forum I don't visit routinely, I'd appreciate someone here bringing to my attention.

are you really one of thse marcupillls like your avatar shows?:huh: see sum of us actually are that bad lookin as what we have as an avatar

No, that's not my portrait, Larry - I only wish I was that good looking :D

That little feller is a lemur - native of Madagascar, a country that is dear to my heart. As far as I know they're not marsupials, but I wouldn't swear to that. I spent the best part of a year in the capital of Madagascar and never saw a single lemur :(

Now, if I could grow some major face foliage like you, Larry - I'd be proud to show it off at every opportunity !

No, that's not my portrait, Larry - I only wish I was that good looking :D

That little feller is a lemur - native of Madagascar, a country that is dear to my heart. As far as I know they're not marsupials, but I wouldn't swear to that. I spent the best part of a year in the capital of Madagascar and never saw a single lemur :(

Now, if I could grow some major face foliage like you, Larry - I'd be proud to show it off at every opportunity !

hey when thats all ya ken grow you keep it it gets cold up im my parts too were not as clsoe to thebig water like you are so we dont get warm moderate climate:(

I have not visited SMC, even as a guest, since my membership was erased last October. :( I miss many of the folks who I got to know at Saw Mill Creek and I am glad that many of them have become members here :) (sometimes here as well as SMC, sometimes only here -it does not matter to me).

I am an active member of the Canadian Woodworking Forum (canadianwoodworking.com) and I often double post threads to both that forum and to this one. There is a small overlap in membership between Canadian Woodworking and Family Woodworking.

I post at both SMC and here. These are the only two forums I visit. I have limited time so, I have'nt found all of the other forums that exist. I too, am a centrist in the political matters. But, I'm also a person that got burned by some of the politics that began to pervade the SMC forums. Some of their forums are wide open and very welcoming, until you touch one of the "third rails of death." As far as I can tell they are; speaking anything but glowing remarks about MM and Festool, not being a Laguna basher, suggesting that a good sharp Stanley will plane as well as a LN, questioning anything about Airshields and finally, having a difference of opinion with a moderator or one of his secret pals. I haven't seen such here. I am proud that Frank P invited me over to look around.

carefull chris;) .........bad mouthing mm or felder can cause a ruckus.....and if you bad mouth festool the rath of mean ol` frank pellow will be upon you.....
and just what was that `bout ol` stanleys?:eek:
......glad you`re here man!
tod

Good to see you here Chris.

I used to post at other forum, besides SMC a lot more, but there always seems to be something to do here, so I just don't have the time anymore!

Not that I mind, I really do think we are building something good here, long may it thrive! :thumb:

Yeah, you're the only guy I've ever heard of that painted his lathe to match his car.

Actually Jim, I was gonna do that but after John M made a poll it was decided by the membership that voted on it to paint it Oliver green....only problem was it was a bit darker than it should have been. But it does have flames and pinstripes....Chrome ones!

100_18502.jpg

carefull chris;) .........bad mouthing mm or felder can cause a ruckus.....and if you bad mouth festool the rath of mean ol` frank pellow will be upon you.....
and just what was that `bout ol` stanleys?:eek:
......glad you`re here man!
tod
Hey Tod, one of the first threads that I started here sort of bashed Festool. :p See the thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22 It illustrates how I get around some of the faults in their tools.

Actually Jim, I was gonna do that but after John M made a poll it was decided by the membership that voted on it to paint it Oliver green....

I wish more guys would. There are way too many boring grey tools out there.

But on the other hand, many cars these days come in boring muted colours also. You can have dull blue, dull silver, dark burgundy, forest green, oh yeah, and "champagne"... which is is dull sand.

...art (dull blue Sienna :eek: )

Hey, Steve, It says SMC on that there lathe...was it a gift? :D Oh, and I would thing that "bashing" would not be near as bad a "bash into" the 69 Chevelle. Jim.

Jim, the way this lathe found it's way to me, and in case some of you folks didn't already know, was because my youngest son Chris was out in the shop one night while I was working and said "Dad, if you'd put a lathe out here I'd come out and use it, I'll even go in half"

So I thought I'd look into finding a good lathe and give it to him. A friend of mine in Ann Arbor had found this lathe and asked if I was interested...I was. It was in pretty bad shape looks wise, and the motor developed some problems first couple times I used it, but I got a little bit of a idea on how to restore old stuff.

I brought it home and did a restoration process with updates on the Creek. when it was finally time to paint it, good friend John Miliunas made up a poll and let the members choose my color.

so....long story short and getting back to your question Jim, it is a gift from me to my son Chris. I consider it as his, even though he doesn't live here any more and he only used it once or twice(kids have a way of growing up and losing interest) I use it when I am able to, but it will always be his gift from me....and he didn't need to chip in half.

And yes, I'd rather you bash me than my old grocery getter.:D