Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure treated outdoor tiki bar stools

Pressure treated outdoor tiki bar stools

Need 3 new outdoor stools.
    Gonna switch over and use ash, cause working with PT is the pits.
    I believe my templates were a bit off, I didnt work and tweak them to perfection, or I did what I saw, the rest is lack of skill.
    Im not worried about each joint fitting like this one,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood stuff 945 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	33596 cause I can always glue in a wedge and make the joint tight, and each tenon will be glued and a deck screws will be used.
    It looks wide because I havent cut the tenons on the seat rails, but the seat area will be approx, 19x20, a nice size seat.
    Alot of curves, alot of chisel work with the mortises.
    I will sand it much more even, round over everything, this is just a rough fitting of the few parts Ive completed.
    All mortises were cut before I cut the curves into the legs.
    Just wanted to show Im still working on alot of flat stuff, although I cant follow Cody's act, at least not for another 15 or 20 years.

bad joint, sorry about the shaky hands on this one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood stuff 944 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	33595(bottom outside right)

the seat slats will rest on top of the upper rails, the side rails, and will have a slight incline towards the middle. I turned the bottom side rails the opposite way for design reasons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 942 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 06-14-2009 at 10:16 PM.

for outdoor use you dont want ash... you would be better to use cyprus if you dont want presure treated stuff.. or even white oak is better than ash.. it will turn grey and rot quick. the white oak willlast along time and be strong and the cyprus is more rot resitant..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Despite all your self-effacing comments about your skills, I know I'd be hard-pressed to make that piece, Allen. Looking real good.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    for outdoor use you dont want ash... you would be better to use cyprus if you dont want presure treated stuff.. or even white oak is better than ash.. it will turn grey and rot quick. the white oak willlast along time and be strong and the cyprus is more rot resitant..

I have so much ash just waiting to be used.
    Youre right, Im thinking along the lines of substituting ash for white oak for indoor furniture, not realizing ash doesnt hold rot resistant qualities like white oak, so I might have to go with white cedar.

Nice design, Indeed, But I agree with Larry, Forget the Ash as it will be "gone" before you wear the new off of it. Cypress would be my wood of choice (and of course, Teak)

For being made out of pt Allen it sure looks good to me. How long did it take you to pick out those clear pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    For being made out of pt Allen it sure looks good to me. How long did it take you to pick out those clear pieces.
    over near him alan they dont get sunlight very much so the tres have to grow straight up for long distances before they start making limbs to catch the sun so therefore they have clearer wood...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Allen,

Ash would probably last a good while if you sealed the end-grain on the legs with epoxy, then primed and painted the stools. If you want a natural look, then I agree that Teak would be the optimum wood but Cypress would also work, as would Cedar.

Personally, it looks like you're doing a fine job with the PT lumber and it will certainly last a long time. However, being so wet, it is a pain to work with.
    Cody

A friend of mine is into the Tiki Bar thing.

I made a sign for him. It is a scan from Joe the Beachcomer, coaster. It came out really nice.

It's made to look like driftwood. Deep cracks carved into it - the carved in
    letters are bamboo style font and painted dark brown.

If you would like a sign for your Tiki bar - PM me.

thanx for the great offer leo, we have so many signs for the bar most of them sit in the garage.
    Seems someone is always bring one. surfboard signs, tropical bird signs, bar signs, but thankyou anyway for the great offer.

Im finished with all the pieces. I have to round everything over, put a couple of curved edges on arms, and glue and screw it all up.
    should be done sometime tomorrow.

I decided to shut down early today, since I made a error with a circle cutter I purchased and decided to try it out today.
    First, and I dont know why, cause I tightened the allen set screw fine, when I turned on the drill press, the arm of the cutter with the cutter in it flew out and bounced off the glue bottles on the shelves. Shook me up, coulda been my head, and that, Im quite sure, would leave a mark, if not take something out or gouge out part of my head. Im ugly enough, dont need any more scars.
    Then I tried cutting some ply, and it burned and jammed a few times.
    I switched over to ash, had the same problems, then as it was spinning, the chuck fell out of the drill press.
    Ok, I had enough.
    What I didnt know until a minute ago, is that I have to turn the rpms of the drill press all the way down.
    Live and learn, and when I do it, I have to wear a flak jacket.
    I never should have stopped working on the stool anyway.