Thread: Super Nova 2 and Cole Jaws

Super Nova 2 and Cole Jaws

Whats the maximum diameter this pair opens too. I have a Jet 1220 and was wondering if when fully extended would the Cole jaws clear the bed ? I have the chuck but would like the jaws also. I like to turn bowls with an outside diameter of 9 1/2"-10", maybe that's pushing the 1220, but its a great machine.
    Last edited by John D. Frigillana Jr.; 06-15-2009 at 05:35 PM.

9.291" is max according to there jaw chart for Super Nova 2

Good Luck

Alan

SN@ & Cole jaws

What I'm looking for is if anyone has the SN2 and the large Cole jaws, what is the measurements of the jaws when fully opened- end to end? Will it hit the bed or will it clear the 12" swing?

Hi, you might check out this thread at SMC
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114466

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

The safest position for ANY chuck, is to be as close to closed as possible. As you open them, they become less effective at holding the piece. This is due to the fact there is more flex, especially with cole jaws. When you add a loosely(Expanded to the extreme) set of jaws to a flexible sidewall, it makes for an accident waiting to happen.

There are two home made chucks that are very safe on larger pieces. I don't know the names, but one consists of a flat piece and a ring that screws to the flat piece and the bottom sticks out of the hole for cleaning up. The other one uses two pieces of plywood, MDF, etc, with opposing spirals to hold the work.

Hope this helps.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

SN@ and Cole Jaws

Thanks Bruse, but I intend to use the CJ's just for finishing the bottoms. I would be using the tail stock to keep the bowl inplace when I'm close to removing the tennon. I think that would be safe.

Should be ok then.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker View Post
    ...There are two home made chucks that are very safe on larger pieces. I don't know the names, but one consists of a flat piece and a ring that screws to the flat piece and the bottom sticks out of the hole for cleaning up. The other one uses two pieces of plywood, MDF, etc, with opposing spirals to hold the work...
    That'd be a donut chuck and a Longworth chuck, respectively. I agree the donut chuck is very safe, but I've had pieces come loose from a Longworth chuck in the past. They work, but I think a person should proceed with a bit of extra caution when using one.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That'd be a donut chuck and a Longworth chuck, respectively. I agree the donut chuck is very safe, but I've had pieces come loose from a Longworth chuck in the past. They work, but I think a person should proceed with a bit of extra caution when using one.
    It's exciting when those big pieces catch and come off the longworth's isn't it... I had one that not only ruined the bowl, it ruined the chuck as well.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.