Re Decks

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Anyone used this product before?

http://www.swingpaints.com/1555.htm

I see they have a marine version and i also picked up a sample to test from a recent ww show.

I wanted to put it on the railings of my deck now that i have removed them, planned them and re stained them. Wood is cedar.

Wanted to give the top of the railing a sealing over and above the stain to help with cracking and prevent splinters.

Am i being crazy?:huh:

Thanks

any film finish you put outdoors or even exposed to direct sunlight will fail...it`s only a matter of time.
with proper maintenance any ol` marine varnish will perform as advertised..(key words "as advertised")
in otherwords ya` gotta keep after it, sanding, scraping and recoating as needed..
an oil finish is much more forgiving.

Thanks guys. I will follow your advice.

I will do an experiment and take a small unsused piece of cedar and coat it and place it on the deck out of the way and follow its progress for a year. See how this stuff bears up to the elements. I see that this particular company says they have a UV version for outdoor use. :thumb:

Only one way I have found to work well on new or raw wood and last;
Apply 3 coats of Thomsons water seal, follow directions. after the finial coat you need to wait 36 hours for the finial cure. Then if your painting apply 2 coats of primer and then finish,
Before I was a finisher I painted houses for 15 years. I experimented with allot of products. Thomsons has proven to work as a good sealer coat between paint and wood.