A couple more from the coring tool

Mark Pruitt

I've been giving my McNaughton tool a fair amount of use in the last few months. Here is a set that I recently completed. The larger is about 8.5 x 5.5; the smaller is about 6 x 3.75. This wood came from a tree I cut from out of a co-worker's yard, which I initially thought to be poplar. I now believe it to be paradise for a couple of reasons, one being the soft, gummy pith which I can feel in the logs that don't have the pith completely sawn away, and the other being the bark.

For the finish on these, after letting an initial coat of linseed oil dry, I filled the pores with Pore-O-Pac grain filler which I dyed black. i then topcoated with Salad Bowl Finish. It was an experiment with a finish which I intend to repeat with a few variations. Comments welcome.
DSC_0034edit2.jpg

I can understand why you'll be repeating that finish. I really like the way it came out. Great pair of bowls. :thumb:

Mark that is a great pair of bowls! :clap:

I looked online and found >> THIS << link and info about "Paradise Wood" and to me, it does not look anything like that. For my money I would guess it is some kind of Elm, but who knows. :dunno:

I do know that they are certainly a nice pair! :thumb:

Mark that is a great pair of bowls! :clap:

I looked online and found >> THIS << link and info about "Paradise Wood" and to me, it does not look anything like that. For my money I would guess it is some kind of Elm, but who knows. :dunno:

I do know that they are certainly a nice pair! :thumb:

Stu,
I bumped into an old codger a couple weeks ago who had a bunch of turnings displayed at a market. He seemed to know his woods. He pulled out a piece which he identified as Paradise; the grain was identical to the stuff I have. He was the one who told me to check the pith for a soft, gummy quality as opposed to being solid.

The other thing is, I have a next door neighbor who saw me outside sawing this stuff up when I first brought it home. He and I chatted for a while about trees; he took one look at the logs I was cutting up and said it was paradise. So, at this point I have two supposedly knowledeable people who are "in this area" identifying this stuff as paradise. Hard to disagree with that.

Mark, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I'd never heard of "Paradise Wood", so I looked it up, and that is what I found. It could also be a name given to that certain wood in your area, like the wood I used to make my back bench on my SawStop, they call it "Akai Tamo" which translates to "Red Ash" but it is actually "Siberian Elm"....... Go figure :D :dunno:

Whatever the wood, let me say again, NICE WORK! :thumb:

Mark, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I'd never heard of "Paradise Wood", so I looked it up, and that is what I found. It could also be a name given to that certain wood in your area, like the wood I used to make my back bench on my SawStop, they call it "Akai Tamo" which translates to "Red Ash" but it is actually "Siberian Elm"....... Go figure :D :dunno:

Whatever the wood, let me say again, NICE WORK! :thumb:

Who's on first? :rofl:

Outstanding !

Very nice bowls Mark. Your finish schedule looks wonderful.

Never heard of Paradise trees either. Got any more info ? Looks like real nice wood.

Never heard of Paradise trees either. Got any more info ?
Not really, Don. I had not heard of the tree either until my neighbor, and then the old fellow I referred to, both talked about it. I googled it and found next to nothing. What I did find interesting was the old fellow's take on the stuff. His comment was something on the lines of, "people don't want to use this stuff because they don't think it's any good....well, look at this," and he showed me a bowl he'd turned. I'm really tempted to take one or two of mine and show 'em to him some day.