Thread: What to do ?

What to do ?

You guys have me wanting to play with turning wood. So, I've had this piece of Cocobola [Rosewood] laying around the shop for 20 years, forgot where I got it. Someone dropped it off for me to do something with. SO do I just turn a simple bowl and suggestions on design?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0010.JPG   CIMG0011.JPG   CIMG0012.JPG  

I would suggest that you find someone close who can core it out for you. It would be a shame to leave 90% of that beautiful wood on the floor. If you can get even one core out of it you'll have saved 80% of the cost of a piece that size. Once cored, yes, turn an open bowl with it. You might use the inner blank for a hollowform if you're comfortable with those. Regardless what you decide to make with it, you're going to have a beautiful piece once finished.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

I had no idea or knowledge of coring. I'llcheck for someone in the area who can do this. Thanks

dave depending on the core operator, they can sometimes get three out of a piece your size.. i saw a 3 set from bill grumbine, but am not sure of the original blank size..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I am jealous -- do it proud! it will a several treasures..
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

I found out that Montgomery county has a wood turners club and I will see if someone gets back to me. Thanks Doug.