Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just finished another Peppermill

Just finished another Peppermill

Jen, a coworker of mine, shares my love of beautifully turned wood pieces. She even found out when there were some pieces in a gallery nearby and took me to see them. She has been very supportive of the pieces I have been turning over the past year. She really loved the peppermills I made for my mom and mother-in-law.

She loved them so much she commissioned me to turn a set for her dadís birthday, but while I was gluing the blanks up for those, I glued an additional blank just for her birthday. I found some purpleheart for hers and glued it up with the same maple and dyed black veneer. This time, I saved some of the waste from the blank and turned a base for the mill to sit on while not in use. It will work great to collect pepper remnants that fall out.

I also experimented with using a precatalyzed lacquer that I had to mix and spray with spray equipment. The lacquer worked much better than the polyurethane I used in the past. The lacquer was hard within just 24 hrs to wet sand and buff to a beautifull high gloss. I also prefer the curves of this mill over the previous 2.

BTW, I just finished creating a blog to show the woodturnings and some other stuff I do in the shop: www.kapsworkshop.wordpress.com

I am still playing with the camera settings and lighting for the pics.
    Please critique the piece as well as the photos.

Thanks!!

Very attractive and neat use of the wood. Interesting shape.
    At first glance, I thought you used purpleheart wood.
    The resting station is a good idea.
    I'm sure she will appreciate.

Nice use of the different directions of the wood grain and color as well.. looked at your site and your photography is very nice as well,, some really nice turnings!!!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I'm nor a great fan of segmented work as a rule but this is so different I can't help myself It 's wild and crazy and it works. Excellent

Pete

Very nice Keith! Like the grain differences. Not a fan of purple heart though. I like the black stripe down the middle of two parts though.
    cheers

Stunning!!!

Beautiful work, Keith.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

Amazing

I love the shape and the use of the differant woods. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Joe.

Wow, somehow I missed seeing this until now. I really like it Keith. I like the curvy form and the way it plays with the straight lines of the laminations. You photos also look real good. The only suggestion I can offer is to try to get the wrinkles out of the backdrop. I've used a clothes steamer on the velour backdrops that came with my photo tent, and it seemed to work pretty well. The lighting looks good, although If you want fewer of the visible lighting highlights, you might try moving one or two of your lights farther away, or bouncing them to your tent off a wall or other white surface.

Any way you slice it though, it's nice work.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Does anyone know if there any danger of toxins leaching out of exotic woods into pepper corns or salt crystals?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rodekohr View Post
    Does anyone know if there any danger of toxins leaching out of exotic woods into pepper corns or salt crystals?
    Personally I always play safe and never use woods such as laburnum, iroko, yew etc for anything that will be used for food. I am sure that there are others as well. No matter what finish you use there is always the danger that it will wear off and leech into the food so I also tend to either use a beeswax polish or just sand to a high level and oil.

Better safe than sorry

Pete