Thread: Wedding goblet

Wedding goblet

I've been asked to make a pair of ghoblets for a celtic wedding. I've done obne and am waiting to see if it's OK before doing the really difficult part, duplicating it.

It's cherry, 7" tall with a 3" dia. 2 1'2" deep bowl. Inside is finished with copious layers of melamine finish as they want to toast with mead during the ceremony.

Just finished another one from the prickly pear.

his one is 6 1/2" tall, bowl is 3 1/2" dia x 2 1/4" deep. Same finish as other one. Now they have a choice.
    Last edited by Pete MoncrieffJury; 06-18-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added new goblet

Beautiful goblets. Filled with mead, will the happy couple still be able to......ah...make it to the honeymoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Beautiful goblets. Filled with mead, will the happy couple still be able to......ah...make it to the honeymoon?

They are both beautiful, Pete. I prefer the Prickly Pear, but like them both very much.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Pete there some fine goblets. i really like them both.

Both are beautiful, Pete. Very well done.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Beautiful pieces Pete. Love the wood on both. Fit and finish are well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice work. Be proud of your skills their great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete MoncrieffJury View Post
    I've been asked to make a pair of ghoblets for a celtic wedding. I've done obne and am waiting to see if it's OK before doing the really difficult part, duplicating it.

It's cherry, 7" tall with a 3" dia. 2 1'2" deep bowl. Inside is finished with copious layers of melamine finish as they want to toast with mead during the ceremony.
    Pete,
    Great goblets...
    I do a few and find them to be great fun to do... know what you mean about duplicating... someday I hope to get two that are near the same shape..

I notice the cherry has a nice flat bottom... do you use a forstner or are you good enough that you can do that with a chisel????
    I'm not so always admire those who are.

Also, may be a dumb question, but only way to learn... what is your definition of MELAMINE?? Is that a commercially available finish, or something you made up yourself. I currently use a plexi-glas solution on the inside of my goblets, but always looking for something better.

BTW, really like the double captured rings.. haven't tried them yet... may have to soon.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Pete,
    Great goblets...
    I do a few and find them to be great fun to do... know what you mean about duplicating... someday I hope to get two that are near the same shape..

I notice the cherry has a nice flat bottom... do you use a forstner or are you good enough that you can do that with a chisel????
    I'm not so always admire those who are.
    I do it with a spindle gouge. Sometimes I use a skew to get it really flat but depends on the wood

Also, may be a dumb question, but only way to learn... what is your definition of MELAMINE?? Is that a commercially available finish, or something you made up yourself. I currently use a plexi-glas solution on the inside of my goblets, but always looking for something better.
    It's quite common over here, you can get it in the states though, some here Pen turners use it a lot as it gives a hard resilient finish. Idal for liquid proofing goblets. You put it on with the lathe statioary or it goes all gloopy on you and leaves rings. When dry cut back with wire wool or 1200 w&d and then add another layer until happy with it.
    BTW, really like the double captured rings.. haven't tried them yet... may have to soon.
    Thanks, I was going to do them interlocking but the grain on the cherry is too tough and too brittle on the cactus

Pet