Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About Time For A DC Thread

About Time For A DC Thread

OK, it's been way too calm around here. Time for a dust collection thread. And I'll throw in a little Tai/Chi equipment into the discussion just for fun.

Harbor Freight has their 2 HP (yeah, right) single-stage DC on sale this month. I showed the ad to SWMBO yesterday, and to my surprise, she was all for the idea, and urged me to go to HF right away to pick one up. I've seen enough good reviews of this DC that I figured it's one of those HF tools that are worth owning. (Sorta like the HSS lathe chisels many of us start out with.)

I went and picked one up yesterday, got it assembled last night, and it sure does suck. In a good way. I don't plan to use the 30 micron flour sacks any longer than it takes for the just-ordered Wynn filter to arrive. I think with the .5 micron filter cartridge, I'll be in pretty decent shape. (I did a lot of reading about the good bags vs. cartridge filter debate. For my needs, I believe the cartridge is the way to go.) I also plan to add a neutral vane when the new filter arrives.

I'd prefer to have a Clearvue cyclone with a 5 HP Baldor, but that's simply not within the financial, electrical, or space restraints I have. I'm not planning to run ridgid ducting at this point in time. The DC will be located in roughly the center of the 2-car garage/shop, and I'll move a flex hose from one machine to the next as needed. HF also has their DC accessory kit on sale, which includes 20' of 4" flex hose, clamps, a couple blast gates, and some other parts I don't really need, but I picked up the set just to get things started. I really don't do a lot of milling of rough lumber. Most of my dust is created on the bandsaw and lathe, and while this DC won't eliminate it, it should sure cut down on the quantity. And it should beat the pants off the Shop Vac that's been my sole line of defense against dust so far.

Adding the DC to my shop is no small feat, because I first had to make room for it. Just to get enough space to assemble the thing, I had to move move nearly every piece of equipment (and my bench). In the process of moving things around, I discovered a problem in my lathe stand, so I'll be making some modifications to that soon, too.

The shop is still in total disarray, with stuff piled all over the place, but I'm using the addition of the DC as an excuse for a thorough shop reorganization and de-kludging. I'll be sure to take some pics and post a shop tour thread once all the shuffling is done (and before I have a chance to mess it up again).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Hey Vaughn,
    I bought the same one a few weeks after I got my planer. It was a real life saver since the planer realy make the chiop, but with the DC hooked up it's no problem. It stays hooked up to the TS most of the time but whenever I set up the planer it gets kooked up to it. It has made a tremendous differance in keeping the shop cleaner. I didn't bother with the HF hose kit I just piked up a couple of 4" dryer hosed from the borg alonmg with some 4" hose clamps.I tried it on the lathe but for now have pretty muck given up on that since the curlies clog up the screen and hose but I do use it as big shop vac when I clean up. When I set up the new shop I'vw already planned how to hook it up to the rest of my tools and will install some 6" ducting, blast gates etc. BTW, don't try to run the 2 HP DC along with your 1 1/2 HP TS on the same circuit, DAMHIKT
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

oh-geeze! now the forum will go on the fritz again.........d/c and tai/chi in the same thread ........congratulations vaughn!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Steve Clardy Guest
    oooohhhhh. Did I hear DC

Vaughn said: "...I also plan to add a neutral vane when the new filter arrives."

Okay, enlighten me. I'm familiar with a neutral vane in a cyclone, but how do you add one to a cartridge filter?

I have a Penn State 2 hp, with cartridge, and if it's effective, I'd be interested in adding a neutral vane to it. Explain?
    Jim D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Vaughn said: "...I also plan to add a neutral vane when the new filter arrives."

Okay, enlighten me. I'm familiar with a neutral vane in a cyclone, but how do you add one to a cartridge filter?

I have a Penn State 2 hp, with cartridge, and if it's effective, I'd be interested in adding a neutral vane to it. Explain?
    Jim,

The neutral vane is added to the ring that sits between the cartridge and the lower bag. A quick google search will produce all sorts of sites that show the details. I used the article at bt3central when I built mine.

And FWIW, it made a HUGE difference in the operation of the collector. You can actually see the dust and debris 'cyclone' around and down into the bag after the vane was installed.

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

You know Vaughn.... if you don't use a bazillion hp cyclone that filters to a trillionth of a inch you will die instantly.

Have fun with the new toy! A great investment for the health.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gabbay View Post
    will die instantly.
    NO he won't! .... He'll die slowly and painfully.

Good move, Vaughn. I've got a 2HP tai/chi unit myself - toolex, local Canadian Importer - with an improved upper bag and I think it works quite well.
    Hmm. Actually it may already have a neutral vane, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post

As in a cyclone, the idea is that the neutral vane keeps the incoming air from disturbing the already-circulating air in the lower part of the DC. In theory, it helps keep the bigger particles in the lower half of the collector, and helps prevent the filter from getting hit by larger debris (and thus potentially making holes in the filter).

Brad Olson has a couple pics showing a couple variations in this page of his site:

http://www.msu.edu/user/olsonbr2/HFDC/HF-DC.htm

And here are some from Loring Chien on BT3 Central:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...eutral+vane%22

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=19173

I've seen pics showing everything from a simple piece of sheet metal to something fairly complex like the one second one shown in the above link. I think I'll probably try something more simple like the first one shown on Brad's page. I also saw pics last night (and can't find them quickly right now) of a modification whereby someone added about 8" of snap-lock pipe to the center 'donut', again in an effort to keep the big particles in the bottom bag and out of the filter. Without the pics it's hard to describe, so I'll see if I can find them and update this post later tonight.

Don, I've already ordered the chip collection hood for my lunchbox planer...looking forward to trying it out with the Suckutron attached. For the lathe, I'm mainly interested in collecting the sanding dust. The wood chips I can deal with. Agreed on the separate circuits for the DC and TS (or any of my other stationary tools). I'm not positive the circuit it's plugged into now is separate, but I believe it is. I didn't have time last night to play with the house breaker box to be sure. I did confirm I can run the DC and TS with no load at the same time, but I'll see how things cooperate when I'm ripping 8/4 maple. I may have to do some creative extension cording for the time being, until we can upgrade the electrical setup for the whole house.

Tod, the next thing you know dogs and cats will be sleeping with each other. I was tempted to add guided circular saw systems to the post too, but I didn't really want to flirt with disaster that much.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

What are you going to use for piping?