About Time For A DC Thread

not an authourity either but just this week received an email from bill pentz in reguards to my dust collection needs, first of alli would strongly suggest anyone that is looking for dust collection look at his web page concerning it he is very knowledgeabl onit, his first thing that he said was the stats on a hobbiest and full time cabinet makers life expectancice with dust. then he further explained the pros and cons of it and how to go about making it do what it should,, he helped design the clearveiw and his own version and they have cartridges.. like i said early i am not the smart one here just looking at the what the smater ones have to say..some is better then none but it helps to try and do it the best you can like stu mentioned..we all need to listen to our coughs.

2.) Whats your opion on using 1/2 lower bag attached to a 33 gal metal drum, as opposed to the full plastic bags?
I am also considering a high quality 1/2 lower bag. $65.

Bob, I have a 32 gallon metal can under my DC . A lady that does sewing took the old bottom bag and a chunk of tarp and made me short skirt to connect it to the DC. For the amount of WW that I do it will take a few month be for I fill it.

Thankyou all for your input, kinda leaning towards Vaughn McMillan opion.

Reason being tight on money, 73 years young, and like is opion on the cartridge looks neater.

If I had to do it over would have waited for the cyclon, but when I started woodworking, cyclon is what mother nature did to my dads, house, barn, chicken coop.

How is that for being a newbie???

Thought I would chime in.

As Stu has said in this post the cyclone is the way to go. If building the cyclone is a factor in your decision I can assure you it isnt as difficult as it would appear. I know, I built one.

It has so much suction that a 6" metal section of duct about 6 feet from the inlet collapsed when I plugged it up the first time I turned the motor on.

Building the cyclone following Bill Pentz design and instructions for me was not very difficult. If you are not confortable with welding you can find an HVAC shop that can do it for you. They can even bend and cut all your pieces.

Consider building it. Dont dismiss it just cos it looks hard. It isnt.

cyclonestand.JPG

If you decide to build the cyclone I will send you the full scale cutting plan I used to build mine(*if you make a nice contribution to Bill Pentz). It saves a ton of time. I drew it using all his dimensions into Autocad, printed it out full scale and used it to cut my pieces--all the pieces needed for the cyclone. If you take the cutting plan to a sheet metal shop its a breeze to cut the pieces.

* Not a solicitation

Attachments

• 002cyclone.JPG
    002cyclone.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Been checking pros and cons etc.

What about this for $169. This guy is selling on that ....Would get the 6" bottom outlet, and mount the motor on top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280069380307&fromMakeTrack=true

I had considered that very carefully but if you read carefully, I believe, his dimensions are not the same as Bill's design, amd he doesnt say anything about the ramp or the neutral vane. I decided against it cos it just doesnt have the features that Bill has designed into his. If you look carefully the inlet is not angeled and its 6"dia. Bills design has a larger inlet at 10x7 I believe and the angle follows the angle of the ramp. It just desnt impress me.

I always did like the paint job on your cyclone, Julio. When the time comes that I can properly power a cyclone, I'll have to decide if I want to build or buy one. I generally prefer to spend my shop time making things other than tools and equipment, but a cyclone might be a fun project. Regardless of whether I build or buy, I'd consider doing something interesting for a paint job. Like maybe a big "Hoover" or "Electrolux" logo on the side. ;)

I always did like the paint job on your cyclone, Julio. I generally prefer to spend my shop time making things other than tools and equipment, but a cyclone might be a fun project.

Regardless of whether I build or buy, I'd consider doing something interesting for a paint job. Like maybe a big "Hoover" or "Electrolux" logo on the side. ;)

thanks Vaughn.

I know what you mean about building tools and equiptment and no time for woodwork. I hate that too but the cyclone taught me so many things. I think you'll enjoy it.

MY original idea was to paint a strylized logo of Pecos Bill riding a cyclone, I might still do it. Maybe Mr Pentz can use that as a logo, (Pecos Bill=Bill Pentz?)

Craig, whats a bag house?

the filter system, it's 40 canvas tubes, 5" in diameter, the whole unit is 10 feet tall.

Aget-dust-collection-bag-ho.jpg

It's a 10" inlet, and I put a muffler between it and the cyclone.