Bulletin board software?

Jeff Horton

Anyone have any suggestions for a basic/simple bulletin board software? I am tossing around the idea of adding a bulletin board to my Kayak web site.

When I start selling kits I know there are going to be questions come up. A bulletin board seems like it would be a good idea. That way people can search and find answers to past problems. Emails are never public and a bulletin board might save me answering the same questions over and over.

I don't need anything complicated. The simpler to maintain the better. I frequent a site that runs WebBBS and while I don't really like it 'appears' to be a simple program and would work for what I am considering. I am assuming that vBulletin requires occasional database management and I don't know anything about that and really don't want to deal with it.

I'm on a few forums that use this:

http://www.phpbb.com/

It's not as robust as the vBulletin software we run this place on, but it's free. It's also widely-used and common enough that the environment is familiar to most visitors.

To me, a bulletin board is for the sharing of ideas about certain subjects, nor for advertising a product. I belong to several kayak BB’s, one is a company owned BB, but the majority of the conversations are general to kayaking and not company specific. I would think an interactive Q & A feature on your web site would serve the purpose.

Just my openion, doesn't mean its correct.

To me, a bulletin board is for the sharing of ideas about certain subjects, nor for advertising a product. I belong to several kayak BB’s, one is a company owned BB, but the majority of the conversations are general to kayaking and not company specific.

I assume you read Black Dog and probably P-net among others. Do you really think their purpose of having the forum on their web space is not to advertise their wares? There are links and ads on there to their web sites. That is the real reason they have the forums.

I would think an interactive Q & A feature on your web site would serve the purpose

Ummm, reread my post. That's what I had in mind. And of course to promote my products too. After all I am paying the bills for the site.