Shop pics

Travis Porter

Here are a few pics of my shop before my last "reorganization". My shop is 24 x 32 (outside to outside), with concrete floors, 10 ft ceilings, a sink with water (used to have hot, have to fix a pipe underground), and a heat pump to keep it nice and toasty.

First, a shot as you come in the door.
gen shop entry.jpg

Here is where I used to have my clamps and still have my compressor
clamps and compressor.jpg

Here is the sink before and after. Took me 2 years to finally finish the doors and drawers. Got embarassed when I originally took the pictures and finally took the time to finish it.
unfinished sink.jpg
sink finished.JPG

My tablesaw that likes to loosen the arbor nut (didn't get to go out and play tonight as I played Daddy.:(
tablesaw.jpg

Belt disk combo. Kind of regret buying this now. Wish I had just gotten an oscillating belt instead.
jet belt disk.jpg

Where my lumber rack used to be. This turned out to be a pain as I could not store much wood.
wood rack.JPG

The plywood rack holds about 10 sheets
plywood rack.jpg

My old drill press (before my recent upgrade)
drill press.jpg

A few more before pics to post before I start posting some now pics. Thanks for looking, comments and feedback welcome.

more before pics

This will be the final of my before pictures.

My Performax 22-44 drum. It sure beats trying to flatten panels by hand, but since I can finally use a hand plane a little, I do go over panels with a handplane after sanding.
performax.JPG

Here is my old bandsaw, a Delta 14". I spent about $800 upgrading and tuning it up to turn around and get a new one. Oh well. I figure I will keep it to do small stuff and curved cuts.

bandsaw front.jpg

Here is my before wood scrap bin. It sat right under my clamp rack.
scrap bin.JPG

My screw cabinet was given to me by a friend. Takes up a fair amount of floor space, but it holds a lot.
screw bin.JPG

Lastly, part of my wall benches where I used to have my mortiser and other miscellaneous stuff. This is now where my laptop sits.
mortiser.jpg

Shop after

I am going to post just 2 after pictures tonight, figure give me something to do tomorrow night.

First, my new (as of Jan 2006 not 7) dust collector - It really sucks. This is before I did all the new piping. I can sincerely say I HATE metal pipe, but I will save that for another post.
cyclone.jpg

My new bandsaw. Reading too much of Tod Evans and Paul Cresti on SMC caused me to buy this. Cost me a vacation at Disney World. This saw is small compared to Tod's, but it gets the job done. You can see in the back the cyclone has been reworked piping wise.
saw overall.jpg

travis, thanks for the tour! heck that saw has more resaw capacity than mine does! it`s good to see another "lived in" shop:eek: ....and your pipe looks neater than mine does! tod

Dang Travis, that is one heck of a hobbyist work shop. Lots of space, nice layout, impressive set of tools, and sawdust too. Just need one more picture of something you've made in your shop (besides tool cabinets and jigs). My wife thinks that I built my shop to build my shop.

Based on your avatar pic of your kids, I predict that trip to Disney World has just been postponed, not lost. Thanks for sharing. rick

Outstanding, Travis!
That's one of the best shops I've seen. Love the before and after pictures of the sink area:thumb: . Like Julio said, I like to have half of your space too.

Cutoff Bins

Hey Travis:

Although I've been in your shop I just noticed that your cutoff bins are nicer looking than your cabinets...Whats up with that?:wave:

Doug

Lumber rack

Here is my "after" lumber rack. My old one was between two windows and I lost a lot of storage. I built the rack and the scrap bins out of a FWW article. The SCMS rolls out and has fold down wings. Got it from an old FWW article as well. Downside to it is it is as far away from the door as you can get. Good part is it holds a respectable quantity of wood.

lumber rack 1.JPG
Lumber rack 2a.JPG

DC piping

Speaking of dust collector piping, here is the completed layout. I can sincerely say I despise metal snaplock pipe and if I ever have to do it again and can afford it, I will use plastic in it's place. Main trunk line is 8 inch and I ran 6 inch drops to every main machine (planer, jointer, bandsaw, shaper, router table, tablesaw, belt/disc sander). I bought all the pipe at the borg, but got all the fittings (wyes, elbows, etc) from Oneida.

DC piping overall.JPG

My screw cabinet was given to me by a friend. Takes up a fair amount of floor space, but it holds a lot.
View attachment 3016

That "Screw Cabinet" of yours I learned to call a "20 Year Bin" in the Navy. They are quite handy aren't they?
Pardon my mess on the tool box. It looks a bit better now. I'm still trying to find a place for everything in the new shop.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/Dontee47/100_1175.jpg

That's a nice looking shop you have there. I envy you your sink. Everyone I have talked with wants a fortune to run water out to my shop. :( One of these days I'll find a good horse trade.

Don

Hi Travis, very nice looking shop, nice layout with plenty of space. Is Wake Forest on the other side of Raleigh?