Thread: Rob Cosman Dovetail Saw

Rob Cosman Dovetail Saw

Anyone got the Rob Cosman Dovetail saw? My bosses at Woodcraft just came back from the yearly corporate conference, and he demonstrated it. Seeing as how it's about $300 I assume it's great, but have any of y'all taken the plunge? Thanks.

Hutch

Wow, for $300 it must be a heck of a saw. No experience with it myself, but then again I've got no experience with any high-end handsaws.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The Link

Here's his site.

http://www.robcosman.com/tools_dtsaw.php

Also, after converting the currency it's more like $262.

It is the first time I hear about that saw, it looks great and the box is a nice wooden box ( that you pay for it as well).

My only concern would be the sinthetic handles, they may feel cold real cold in winter and slippery in summer due to sweat and skin grease, but these are only prejudices until I could try it.

I have an Adria dovetail saw and I'm quite happy with it, again as I had no chance of using others I can't compare, but one thing is true, it is not the saw who makes the dovetails but you, and if you don't practice you'll never get them right no matter what saw you use.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Agreed..

Yeah, I was reading your recent post about continually practicing. I agree that 'getting the feel' can only be achieved with intentional practice.

As far as the handle goes, it's an interesting idea, but I am not sure about the 'sweaty palms' issue. Maybe a little athletic tape?

Hutch

P.S. I don't plan on getting this saw. More curious than anything.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 07-04-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    As far as the handle goes, it's an interesting idea, but I am not sure about the 'sweaty palms' issue. Maybe a little athletic tape?
    My thought is that plastic or resin whichever the handle is doesn't absorb sweat, while wood handles do ( if they are not varnished), I was wondering how would that saw feel trying to cut dovetails in a hot and humid climate like Barcelona or in a cold Toronto winter.

As far as athletic tape is concerned, could work but it may render the handle too thick but after all it is a matter of getting used to it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

a beautiful saw for sure , but , i don't like either handle . IMHO it should be wood of some variety
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Rob Cosman states that the composite handle was chosen to balance the extra weight of the brass backing for the blade. Wood would not do this, in fact one would end up with a poorly balanced saw. The extra weight is to make the saw cut easily under its own down force.

It really is a saw aimed at novices (although that is not to imply that it is only for novices).

With regard prices of custom handsaws, I predict that the prices will double over the next year or so. That will not be inflation - that will be the sawmakers coming in line with custom planemakers with regard to dollar-for-time-expended. At this time I think that most sawmakers undercharge for their products.

So far three sawmakers are coming in with prices that are raising eyebrows - Andrew Lunn (Eccentric Toolworks, dovetail saw now $360), Rob Cosman ($300), and Mark Harrell (Technoprimitives, expected to be about $250).

You have to think about this - what do you reckon is their $/hour return for all the handwork? Would you do it at the current rates?

Buy them cheap while you can.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Articles and reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com