Concept camaro

Steve Ash

Some of you know I'm a gearhead. Love my old classic cars. I don't care too much for the style of new cars, they all kinda look like a jelly bean to me....everything is round.

Ford came out a few years ago with it's Retro-Mustang. Looks like a 67-68 Mustang to me. Dodge last year made a prototype Challenger that was real sweet. I hope they bring that to fruition. Now Cheverolet introduced it's Concept Camaro at Detroits auto show.

I know things must change and I gotta deal with roundness in cars by todays designs....but I sure like the retro-cars. Here is the Camaro which has the looks of the most sought after muscle car Chevy made, the 1969 Camaro.

I like it!....but I ain't given up my '69 Chevelle SS.

Attachments

• 112_news070104_01z+chevrolet_camaro_convertible_concept+left_front_view.jpg
    112_news070104_01z+chevrolet_camaro_convertible_concept+left_front_view.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 64
Steve, why not get one as a "spare"? Few more cabinet jobs....:D

I too, like all the "old style" cars that have been coming out. I would have to say, the Mustang is still my favorite, though.

Greg

Sorry Steve, but that looks like the cartoon car my grandaughter looks at on the copy of "CARS". It aiin't the 69 Camario

Nope it sure ain't...but at least it isn't round. Don, did ya notice all the concept cars have that look (like a cartoon., as you say) The Chevy SSR pickup did too.

Some toy manufacturer had a line called Muscle Machines (niece got me a couple of the 69 Chevelle toys) and the prototypes look like those toys.

As I said....I'm keepin my old grocery getter
69chevelle2.jpg

Ugly, that's my opinion of te Camero. The Mustang is OK, never really been a fan of Ford products. The Challenger looks great, hopefully DCX builds it.

Nice Chevelle Steve. Maybe we should start a thread on old cars.

Steve..........I wished I had my old '64 SS Impala convertible! Unfortunately for me and the car.....I sold it to a friend when I went into the Navy......4 months or so later....drunk.....he decided to move a new Caddy with it.....the Caddy was parked .........the '64 got totaled.......I don't know if I"m getting old but the new cars just don't seem to have the "soul" the 60's cars did.....the Muscle car era......those cars had a flavor of their own....I never like the Dodges in those days......I used to race the 318's and quite often my 327 would give'm a run for their money.......but ...you know....those Dodges had character.....That from a Chevy man. The cars from that era were indeed special!

i don`t care for the new camaro.........dearly love ol` muscle cars.....cost me untold tickets in my youth now i`m kinda stuck on pre `58 chevys:D

I had a 67 Chevy Impala convertible, loved that old car, handled very poorly, but that little 283 and the 2 speed gearbox were nice on the highway, just poke along at about 60 mph all day :D

What a great car for a road trip in the summer time :thumb:

I'll have to find a pic of it and scan it for you guys, it was a sweet fun summer car!

Not too much thrills me in the way of 4 wheeled cages now a days.....

I have been saying the Camaro was due a redesign for several years now. I loved it when it came out but it is old news. I think the new design is nice but I think the Mustang still is a better looking car. And this from a Chevy man.

As for these retro designs I think Chrysler has the best designs. The concept for the Challanger was stunning I thought. The PT Cruiser is a great looking design.

I don't like Chevy's H3 is it? Just not an attractive car to me.

Give me another 55 Chevy any day!

The whole "retro" thing just kinda leaves me cold: if I wanted a '60s muscle car, I'd restore a real one.

But if the concept of "retro toy" floats your boat, you might one to consider a Factory Five Cobra replica: you get the fun of the build (which obviously this group enjoys), and end up with a serious muscle car when you're done.

I absolutely LOVE the "retro" Camaro! I read a story in the paper the other day that stated it's supposed to go into production in 2009. The rag top is supposed to follow later that same year. It'll be a long time until I can afford one, but I can dream.

When you look at that car there is absolutely NO QUESTION as to what it is. My all time favorite muscle car is a '69 Camaro. They did a very good job in resurrecting it.

Just my .02

John

So how retro are you willing to go Steve. My Dad just got through with the rebuild of a 1932 Franklin 2 seat convertable with a rumble seat. Straight 8 air cooled engine. Wooden Frame. And a tranny that has to be double clutched. :thumb: The sweet thing about this particular car is that my grandfather bought it new and used to take my mother to school in it. :eek: :D

For those of you into rebuilding muscle cars, you should check out the WCSX Stone Soup Project at http://www.wcsx.com/jjandlynne/stonesoup/. Over the past 4 years they have taken a Mustang, a Hemi, and a GTO that was virtually a loss and rebuilt them to classic status with pretty much all donated parts and workmanship. Then the raffle it off to support the Children's Leukemia Foundation. Last year they did a hot rod pickup with parts from all three "big 3" automakers. Don't know what they will do this year but it's always a fun project to track. There are lots of 'project pictures' for all four projects on the web site.

I enjoy the old cars. Wish I had my first car back (66 GTO 389 with the infamous power slide trans :D ) The concept Camaro doesn't do anything for me. Looks like the Chevron cartoon cars. The Mustang is nice, very nice looking. But Dodge NAILED IT with the Challenger. It's a good thing, because they blew an opportunity to do good with the Charger. Nice car, but shouldn't have been called a Charger, IMHO. Also glad Lincoln wised up and took the Zephyr name off the new car. Shouldn't have used it the second time around either. Jim.

Well I've never had a muscle car really. But about fifteen years ago I bought a partially restored '64 Corvair Spyder convertible. That was a nice car! It was in very good shape as far as the body goes and had been painted but in the process of working on it got some scratches and stuff. I pulled the engine and drive train and the only thing not replaced in the engine was the cam and the valves. Replaced everything else and had the turbo gone through by a guy who really knew Corvairs. Ended up painting the car twice to get the color I wanted. It was a beautiful dark metallic blue. I put in a COMPLETELY new interior which was a light blue metallic color and I put a new white top on it. God I loved the looks of that car! It ran pretty well right off the bat but after running it for about a year I converted the ignition to electronic and then it really ran well. That was a very fun car to drive considering the power to weigh ratio. I sold it about seven years ago and really wish that I hadn't. :(

John

The late model Corvair is still one of my favorite body styles. I took a 140HP Corsa and turbocharged it. :D When it ran right, which was about half the time, it would scream. But it had some bugs I never could work out. I had more skill than I had money back then. ;)

It would run with a small bock Corvette and then hour latter get out run by some little import sedan. Turbo just never worked consistent but when it did.... I would really surprise people.

Lost interest in cars several years ago. Plus the high prices have run most of us out of the market. But I still think about buying another late model Corvair and building another Turbo charged engine. So far the high prices have not hit them yet but I think it is just a matter of time.

But I will just still with the wood working.

The late model Corvair is still one of my favorite body styles. I took a 140HP Corsa and turbocharged it. :D When it ran right, which was about half the time, it would scream. But it had some bugs I never could work out. I had more skill than I had money back then. ;)

It would run with a small bock Corvette and then hour latter get out run by some little import sedan. Turbo just never worked consistent but when it did.... I would really surprise people.

Lost interest in cars several years ago. Plus the high prices have run most of us out of the market. But I still think about buying another late model Corvair and building another Turbo charged engine. So far the high prices have not hit them yet but I think it is just a matter of time.

But I will just still with the wood working.
BTDT...to this day, I still flinch whenever somebody says "turbo" in connection with anything except a race engine. I swore that if I ever restored another 'Vair it would have a 140 fitted with Webers.