Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reason #83 for never........

Reason #83 for never........

.....using a charcoal grill on a wooden porch or deck.
    Last night I roasted a chicken on our Weber kettle. When I took it out, some juices drained out. I didn't pay any attention to this at all. Not a big deal. Later, I looked outside and found the wheels of the kettle in the final stages of burning off. All I can figure is that the juices (melted fat) caught fire, drained through the bottom and did the deed. In more than forty years of using Weber kettles we have never had an incident like this. Had this been on a wooden deck, it could, very well, have resulted in a house fire. Luckily it was on gravel outside my shop and ended up being just funny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weber.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    .....using a charcoal grill on a wooden porch or deck.
    Last night I roasted a chicken on our Weber kettle. When I took it out, some juices drained out. I didn't pay any attention to this at all. Not a big deal. Later, I looked outside and found the wheels of the kettle in the final stages of burning off. All I can figure is that the juices (melted fat) caught fire, drained through the bottom and did the deed. In more than forty years of using Weber kettles we have never had an incident like this. Had this been on a wooden deck, it could, very well, have resulted in a house fire. Luckily it was on gravel outside my shop and ended up being just funny.
    That could have been a bad situation Frank, I also use weber grills for around 35 years, the newer ones have an attached ash collector which I really like. The one you are using should have an ash pan underneath to catch the ash and grease, if you can find it I would use it just for such an occasion, if you can't find it I would go to webers web sight and see if you can get a replacement.

Frank and Tom, I'm a proud Weber Kettle owner too...6yrs...I've never even thought about this happening. Will always be in the back of my mind when grilling in the future.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

The newer models have that nice bucket trap under them. The only way to grill !

i can just hear the voice of hank hill, saying something about propane....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i can just hear the voice of hank hill, saying something about propane....
    Ya I can to, but us naturalist BBQ'rs just can't use gas, just like us flatlanders just can't turn

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    The newer models have that nice bucket trap under them. The only way to grill !
    Mine had one. Long gone. Just another thing to clean. I won't be replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Ya I can to, but us naturalist BBQ'rs just can't use gas, just like us flatlanders just can't turn
    Tom, funny you should mention that. Although I've had one or more gas grills for years, I've been a lifelong woodburner when it came to smoking meats. A couple weeks ago I decided to add a gas burner to the side firebox on my smoker, since I was tired of the temperature fluctuations and creosote flavor I was getting with wood and/or charcoal. I gotta tell you, I'm sold. I can dial in 225 and it stays there all day or night. I have a pan for the smoking wood in the firebox, and it lets me put just the right amount of smoke into things. (Previously, I was oversmoking some things, especially things like a ham that needed to cook for 18 - 20 hours.

Here's the story about the mods I made to my cooker...

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28077

(Warning: The Smoke Ring Forum will make you very hungry, and make you start looking for used propane or air compressor tanks.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the info Vaughn. I myself can't tell the difference between cooking with propane versus cooking with wood except I didn't stink like smoke afterwards. I'm not sure where your getting the creosote taste from but I know cherry puts a nice flaver in the meat and leaves a very nice smoke ring in the meat. Looks like I'll be converting mine also. WOOHOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Thanks for the info Vaughn. I myself can't tell the difference between cooking with propane versus cooking with wood except I didn't stink like smoke afterwards. I'm not sure where your getting the creosote taste from but I know cherry puts a nice flaver in the meat and leaves a very nice smoke ring in the meat. Looks like I'll be converting mine also. WOOHOO!
    Man that looks great Vaughn I was looking at a gas grill yesterday at Lowe's and just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger as I us a Big Green Egg but I want something with more room in it for indirect cooks (like ribs and stuff) so am taking a good long look at your cooker ( I Like IT)
    Thanks for posting it.
    Jay