Looking for a Stanley No 7 plane

Dan Thibert

I have been searching for a Stanley no 7 plane on ebay and either have been out bid each time or the bidding is already to high:eek:
There are currently two planes on ebay that are not past my limit of $50, I am sure the one made in the UK is worth the money, but what about the older one made int he USA?
http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-STANLEY-BAI...ms=65:1|66:1|39:6|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:25

and
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stanley-No-7-Pl...ms=65:1|66:1|39:6|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:25

I went to flee markets this weekend, man what a waist of time :rofl: one mans junk is another mans junk :huh:

Your opinion would be very helpful

Thanks
Dan

The English-made one doesn't look bad at all. It'll probably get bid up from where it is now, though.

The other one may - or may not - be a decent buy. What the seller is calling 'peppering' is actually rust pitting on the blade and the chip breaker. You might need to replace them to get a sharpenable edge - It'll just depend on how much of the blade is 'peppered.'

The body on that one shows some rust, but doesn't look too bad. It'll require some work with an SOS pad, steel wool, and/or sandpaper to clean it up to a usable state. The knob and tote also need refinished. All-in-all, it's essentially a 'plane kit,' but is does have potential if you can get it for around $25~30. Don't forget the $18.00 shipping - it'll add significantly to the overall cost.

Are you dead set on Stanley?

Dan,
Are you dead set on a Stanley? Because you can also get a nice Union, Millers Falls or Sargent Jointer for less. I have a Union No7 that I totally refurbed that I got for $40.

The old Sargents are a real favorite of mine, They have HEAVY castings and are built like a tank. Older MFs are also cool. But from recent sale price increases it seems that they've "been discovered" by the masses. :D

Looks like getting a jointer plane for anywhere near $50 is going to be hard :eek:
I bid on the English made plane and we shall se what happens!!!

I do not have my heart set on a Stanley, I just a good user. I have not seen to many other brands available in this size though.

Thanks all for your help, I ended up winning the bid for the Stanley No. 7 made int he UK for $46.
I hope I did not pay to much, but I am sure after tuning it up it should be a good user.

Dan

Don't sweat paying too much!

Thanks all for your help, I ended up winning the bid for the Stanley No. 7 made int he UK for $46.
I hope I did not pay to much, but I am sure after tuning it up it should be a good user.

Dan

Dan,
Don't sweat thinking about paying too much. Fettle that bad boy and lets see some shavings!

Good luck and congrats on the acquisition.