Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted Hackberry Bowls

Spalted Hackberry Bowls

I finished these a couple of weeks ago, but never got around to posting them. The thicker one is 8" wide and 5" tall. The winged one is from what was left after cutting the blank for the thicker one. It is 12" at it's widest and just under 3" tall. Not sure why the bark held on, because it came off right away when roughing the thicker one. Finish is multiple coats of danish oil that was buffed. I've got lots more of this hackberry from my dad and can't wait to turn more of it! Comments/critiques please....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0399.JPG   100_0400.JPG   100_0401.JPG   100_0411.JPG   100_0412.JPG  

100_0414.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Wow...you turn? When did that start? Been awhile since we've seen any pics.

Your dad must have a spalted hackberry machine in his shop, because that's some more awesome spalting. Both bowls look cool...I'd say the winged one is my favorite of the two. The first bowl is OK, but I think I'd prefer to see the outer curve a bit more pronounced...a more hemispherical shape matching the inside bowl curve and ending with a smaller foot.

I came this close |-| to turning a thick-walled bowl like yours last night. I was hollowing the inside of a 15"piece of spalted oak, and I almost left the walls about 3" or 4" thick. Didn't do it, but I stopped the lathe and contemplated it for a bit. Your "Fat Boy" bowls do have a cool rustic look, and I've been tempted in the past to try one or two just to see how they'd sell in my market.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good looking turnings Jeff. I like the winged bowl. Looks mighty fine.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Wow...you turn? When did that start? Been awhile since we've seen any pics.

Your dad must have a spalted hackberry machine in his shop, because that's some more awesome spalting. Both bowls look cool...I'd say the winged one is my favorite of the two. The first bowl is OK, but I think I'd prefer to see the outer curve a bit more pronounced...a more hemispherical shape matching the inside bowl curve and ending with a smaller foot.

Picky, picky... I agree, but I had just found, and accidently broken, an old ashtray that was my wife's grandmothers that had almost the same shape and it stuck with me.

I came this close |-| to turning a thick-walled bowl like yours last night. I was hollowing the inside of a 15"piece of spalted oak, and I almost left the walls about 3" or 4" thick. Didn't do it, but I stopped the lathe and contemplated it for a bit. Your "Fat Boy" bowls do have a cool rustic look, and I've been tempted in the past to try one or two just to see how they'd sell in my market.
    Don't do it I have that market cornered! Plus you'll really start to like turning them because you don't have to worry about them flexing. They do hurt more when they fly off the lathe though. DAMHIKT
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Don't do it I have that market cornered! Plus you'll really start to like turning them because you don't have to worry about them flexing. They do hurt more when they fly off the lathe though. DAMHIKT
    I always figured you were just looking for ways to reduce your cleanup time. Less cutting = fewer chips = faster cleanup = Miller time that much sooner.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I also prefer the winged one. Appeals to my love of the different.

I do a fair number of 'thick' bowls, mainly with wood that has a very pronounced grain or figuring like this. I always try to do as Vaughhan suggested though and have the outside the same shape as the inside. It just seems to flow better
    Never seen hackberry over here. Almost like zebrano.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I always figured you were just looking for ways to reduce your cleanup time. Less cutting = fewer chips = faster cleanup = Miller time that much sooner.
    OK, you got me Vaughn.

Bernie and Peter thanks for the kind comments.
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    OK, you got me Vaughn.

Bernie and Peter thanks for the kind comments.
    jeff i never thought for a minute that yu would sluff off on a job to get to teh beer tent sooner... nope one minute,,,i go tfaith in yu. oh how many cases are gonna be needed to build that shop???

oops nice hackberry too!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Jeff, the spalted hackberry is about gone now. We will have to see how that works in Des Moines.

Sure hope my hackberry spalts like that.... that is fantastic wood.

Your use of it is fantastic as well.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.