Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10" table saw blade

10" table saw blade

I was cutting the styles and rails for my kitchen cabinets yesterday and the saw does not seem to be cutting the way I would like not to mention it is leaving burn marks on the wood.
    I am not the sharpest tool int he box but I am guessing I need to change my saw blade.
    Here is my dilemma!!

I do not have much money to play with so buying a $150 saw blade and still be able to sleep inside the house is not going to work.
    I especially need a blade that will cut 1/4 plywood cleanly for the panels of the doors I am making.
    HD has the Diablo blades for reasonable moneys, are they any good or am I just waisting my $$$?
    Any low cost high quality blades out there?

I know you get what you pay for, but I need to work within a budget.

The other thing is I am currently using a multi-purpose blade, is it better to get multiple blades each designed to do its own task?
    If so what types of blades are best to have?

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Before buying new, maybe look into getting it sharpened. Also cleaning the blade might help too. There are lots of products out there to do so, I just can't remember any of them.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I may try some Denatured Alcohol and see if that helps? I may also pick up a plywood cutting blade and maybe a ripping blade since I do not have either of those just the general purpose blade.
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Dan, clean the blade and if that does not help then go to HD and get a Diablo, they are good blades for the money.

You don't have to get a 10 inch blade, a 7 1/4 will do what you need it to do. You can get the 40 tooth Diablo for $15.

I do not have to get a 10' blade for my table saw? What is the downfall? can not cut as large a peice of wood? Is there a reason to go with one or the other sizes?
    I know I have a 7 1/2 dado set, never thought of going with a smaller blade!
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Thibert View Post
    I do not have to get a 10' blade for my table saw? What is the downfall? can not cut as large a peice of wood? Is there a reason to go with one or the other sizes?
    I know I have a 7 1/2 dado set, never thought of going with a smaller blade!
    The only down side is the height of the cut, in fact it takes less power to make cuts with a smaller blade. That is why dado blades are smaller then normal blades.

I wouldn't use my dado blade to do normal cutting, you will dull one blade more then the other and your dado cuts may not be as good that way.

On my old Craftsman 8 inch really under powered saw all I used was the 40 tooth Diablo blade and it worked out very well.

I would not use the Dado blade for anything other than what it is intended.

The 7 /12 blades are a bit cheeper and I do not cut anything deeper than 1 1/2" usually when using my cross cut sled. Otherwise most everything I cut is 3/4".

Maybe I will pick up a 24 tooth Framing blade (I assume that is the same as a ripping blade) and a 40 tooth finish/plywood saw blade both 7 1/2"?

At $25 for both blades that is a steel and I will pick up some Simple Green to clean the blades.
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

I see Diablo, Marathon and Dewalt saw blades at my local HD and Lowes.

Would one be better than the next or all the same?
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Dan, there's some good reading and excellent education in this thread:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=4587
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I notice no one says anything about amana saw blades. I know they are expensive but whenever we put a new one in the saw there wasn't anything like it and they sure seemed to last longer.