Most "valuable " boat work pictures.

Fellow I knew from a cigar bar job I did asked me to house his boat in front of my shop and do a little trim work on it as I had time, for money, of course. No charge for storing it there.:D He would front all the money for materials and bring them to me, as he was in the transportation business, delivery and such. It is easier to show the photos of the work than explain what I did.

Now mind you, I don't know a thing about boats, so I just covered what he wanted in my own pattern with the teak he brought me from Lowe's special order. We used brass screws and in some places liquid nails also. As I recall there was a slight chamfer on the edges as it came from Lowe's so when I had to rip a piece for some reason I just chamfered the rip and all was hunky dory. I covered the bathroom/comode area and most of the insides and it was looking pretty good.:D

I'm supposed to help a buddy at work fix a few problems on a sailboat he recently bought (if he'll ever get around to deciding what he wants to do). He too is planning to provide the teak -- and I believe the templates -- and simply have me cut and mill it for him. I suspect it may be a bit more work than he thinks it'll be. Did you run into any snags or surprises I should be aware of?

I did some interior work on a boat a few years ago. 50 footer I think.
Interior doors, table, cabinet doors and trim.
Talk about nothing being square, not a straight line anywhere.:(
Boat was tied up at the dock behind his lake house.
About a 100 feet of concrete steps to go down and up a zillion times a day getting stuff from my pickup. That wore me out.
On top of that, I locked myself into the small bedroom while fitting the door latch. [Stupid move, don't ask:eek: ] I did get myself out though.
If I hadn't of had a quarter in my pocket, I'd still be in there:eek: :eek:

hey steve are you sure it was a bedroom//I locked myself into the small bedroom while fitting the door latch. [Stupid move, don't ask ]

Yes it was. A two bedroom boat:huh:

Challenger OffShore 50
Twin diesels.
Quite a ride;)

Teak is a beautiful wood until the sun gets to it for a while. I did part of a rub rail and cap rail a few years ago and the one thing that I found out was that I really did not like working with the stuff very much.

OK guys, if you're going to talk boats, you need to get the lingo straight!

I'm surprised Tyler hasn't waded in here sooner. :rofl:

Land Boat

Ceiling Overhead
Floor Deck
Wall Bulkhead
Wall next to hull Ceiling (yah, I know)
Kitchen Galley
Bathroom Head
Living room Main salon
Bedroom in bow Forepeak cabin (Forecabin)
Bedroom under cockpit Quarter cabin
Other living spaces Cabin
Couch Settee
Window Port
Opening in overhead Hatch
Opening in bulkhead to
get below Companionway
Siding thing to cover
above Companionway hatch
Cover on Deck for
Companionway hatch Seahood

When you are standing inside the boat you are below deck

When you are standing on the deck you are above deck

When you want to go to the bathroom you.........................

Go below to the head........... or go to the stern and ask everyone else to "Look forward"

BOAT = break out another thousand

boat unit =$1,000 eg, that new teak deck cost me 15 boat units!

And if you want more

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/gloss.htm

Jay

You guys are so cute. Give you a thread and you make it a blanket.:rofl:
Hey Jay, I covered the deck, the head, the bulk head, around some ports, and half dozen other places that may have names I'll never know.:rolleyes: Oh Vaughn, the sun darkens the unfinished wood:( , some solid brass screws from China got rusty:eek: , a few of the boards seemed to shrink laterally, literally, the difficult pieces are usually in the beginning or at the end. :huh: The material he was buying was about 1/2" x 6" x 6' as best I recall. It did not want to be twisted much at all and trying to surface it myself was not something I wanted to do. I did surface a wee bit but most was used as from factory, then ripped or cross cut, drilled with countersunk, tapered bit, then screwed. It was actually quite fun at times.boat1.jpg

These are the only two other photos I have of the boat as I can tell. One is inside Inside the boat.jpg
and the other is of rear end of the boat called the "butt":rofl:. Just kidding about that "butt" thing , I don't know what it is called.
boat2002.jpg.
This has been titled the "most valuable boat work photos". Can you guess why? I will tell you later...:rolleyes:
Shaz

Robert

The butt thing is called the stern! :rofl: When you're talking about boats you obviously don't know what you're talking about, but that doesn't stop you from doing great work!

Jay

OK, I'll take my blanket and go to bed now.

what happend to...

Jay,

A couple more terms for the landlubbers...

Port -left
starboard - right

not that I am a regular sailor, but terms left in my lexicon from my time with Uncle Sams Misguided Children. My kids still look at me funny when I call the restroom the "head", or tell them to keep the "hatch" open to their room.

Well done Jay...:thumb: Thanks for the lesson.

So I guess since Steve got out of his lockdown using a quarter....it must have been the Quarter Cabin?:D

Lol. I was fitting the latches, adjusting the door plate.
Handle assembly was a square shaft. Knob on one side, lever on the other side. I did not have the shaft, knobs installed.
Inside the room, I readjusted the striker plate, pushed the door shut.
Man what a fit. Perfect:thumb:

Then I realized where the shaft and knobs were.:eek:
Outside on the table top I had built, installed:(

It was really hot, humid that day. Not a breath of air stirring in that boat or anywhere else. One vent above on the ceiling. I opened it, but no air.
Stood there for a minute, wondering what to do. No sence in hollering, as no one else was around.
So I reached for my pocket knife.:eek: :huh: :(
No pocket knife. It also was laying on that table. I had taken everything out of my pockets while in the boat. It was hot, sweat rolling badly, uncomfortable.
All I had was a quarter in my pocket, so I worked it around on the latch and plate, pushing the latch back into the door.:thumb:
Now that was a relief:D

{Here I am hijacking Roberts thread:eek: }

You boat work, trimming out looks great Robert:thumb:

I did some interior work on a boat a few years ago.

Talk about nothing being square, not a straight line anywhere.:(
Boat was tied up at the dock behind his lake house.
About a 100 feet of concrete steps to go down and up a zillion times a day getting stuff from my pickup.
On top of that, I locked myself into the small bedroom while fitting the door latch. I did get myself out though.
If I hadn't of had a quarter in my pocket, I'd still be in there:eek: :eek:

Lol. I was fitting the latches, adjusting the door plate.
Handle assembly was a square shaft. Knob on one side, lever on the other side. I did not have the shaft, knobs installed.
Inside the room, I readjusted the striker plate, pushed the door shut.
Man what a fit. Perfect:thumb:

Then I realized where the shaft and knobs were.:eek:
Outside on the table top I had built, installed:(

It was really hot, humid that day. Not a breath of air stirring in that boat or anywhere else. One vent above on the ceiling. I opened it, but no air.
Stood there for a minute, wondering what to do. No sense in hollering, as no one else was around.
So I reached for my pocket knife.:eek: :huh: :(
No pocket knife. It also was laying on that table. I had taken everything out of my pockets while in the boat. It was hot, sweat rolling badly, uncomfortable.
All I had was a quarter in my pocket, so I worked it around on the latch and plate, pushing the latch back into the door.:thumb:
Now that was a relief:D

{Here I am hijacking Roberts thread:eek: }

You boat work, trimming out looks great Robert:thumb:
Hi Steve,
Thank you for sharing this.:D You are so funny and I can almost feel the being locked in this little room on a hot day in the dark, probably
just waiting to "DIE" :eek: unless someone comes which ain't gonna happen!!:(
Whoa hoe, am I glad you made it out alive! :D That is exactly the stuff,
your input, I think adds flavor to a thread like this and again thanks for throwing that in :thumb:. "You ain't hijackin.. your my brother"..
Shaz