Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16 inch jointer

16 inch jointer

Last March I bought a F. and J. 16 inch jointer. I listed some pictures of it last March. Well its been a busy year and I am just now getting back to redoing it. It came out with babbit brgs. A machinist friend of mine (he is the one with the horizonal boring mill large enough to handle the job) has offered to help me retrofit it with ball brgs. So with that offer how could I not accept. That will make a good old machine a great old machine. Cant wait!!!!

16 inch jointer

Ken,

Sounds like you have a good jointer there. but, maybe you should reconsider replacement of the babitt bearings. I'd ask about that over on the OWWM.org forum. Those guys can give you some good advice on that machine.

Just sayin'.

Oh, remember,
    "no "recent" pictures, never happened".

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Tony, if I understand Ken's post, his machinist friend is going to do just that...replace the babbit bearings with ball bearings.

Ken, sounds like an aircraft carrier waiting to happen. We'll be expecting pics.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

vaughn,
    if i read tony`s post right he`s suggesting asking over at owwm about keeping the babbits.
    the tolerances of well poured babbits will exceed all but very costly abec 5-7 type bearings..
    the main benefit of working over an older machine would be replacing a square cutterhead.....and i haven`t read that ken intends to do that?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Tod you never cease to amaze me with what you know. I read it the way you did but always thought progress was going to be better, little did I know.
    cheers

rob,
    i know a little about a lot......and a lot about nuthin`

re

The square cutter head has already been replaced. My friend has rebuilt, designed and built machinery professionally all of his career. In this area if you have had him to work on a piece of equipment it just doesnt get any better. He is retired now and I consirder myself locky to get him to work on it. We discussed repouring the babbit bearings. Which he has no problem with and recommends as a good option. Tod is correct there are a lot of high end equipment that runs on babbit bearings new and old. I have poured babbit for tablesaws and jointers years ago. But for some reason I am leaning toward ball bearingd on this piece of equipment. Talk to me if you really disagree and tell me why. That is why I posted this for your information. I will post some pictures when finished which ever the out come.

ken,
    if your machinist friend can make good clean caps to hold quality off the shelf bearings i`d go that route for two reasons;
    1) resale (most folks are scared of babbits nowadays)
    2) ease of servicability.

if you got a few extra bucks look at the tersa heads.

re

Tod those are the two main reasons that I am going to ball brg.
    I have not heard of the heads that you mentioned. I will try to search them.

Tersa heads, as in tersa cutters, allow you to change the blades in about one minute, fully aligned. Suddenly it becomes practical to change to a HSS cutter for a final cut on figured wood, chrome cutters for rough planing, and carbide cutters (my primary knives). I have a 3 cutter Tersa head, and do the complete change in under 3 minutes. GREAT
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com