Thread: Frame and panel fixing question

Frame and panel fixing question

What you see on the first pic is part of my seven drawer dresser, the brown sides are going to be the legs, and the lateral panels are made out of hard maple.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t01.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	33843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t03.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	33845
    Initially I thought about fixing the panel to the web frame by means of a sliding dovetail, but when I tried to make it (first attempt in my life) I just blew it. See pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t04.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	33846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t05.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	33847

Now, here is my question:
    As the intention was to support the side panels, would it be the same if I just put a screw on the center to fix the panel and maybe two more on sliding holes to allow for wood movement and at the same time prevent warping?
    The panels are attached to the legs by a groove and dado with some space for wood movement.

It would spare me the hassle of the sliding dovetails and I think it would work just fine.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

You've got plenty of overlap. Can you put a filler in that dovetail slot?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    You've got plenty of overlap. Can you put a filler in that dovetail slot?
    I guess I could, in the pic the gap is on one side for the sake of explaining it clearly but it should be evenly distributed, so if I go for that I would need a filler on both sides and then route it again to the right measure I guess
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I am not skilled enough in WW to answer your question Toni, but I have a suggestion that follows from the lesson you taught me on the hand cut dovetails. I have personally wanted to do something very similar to you and that is cut a huge sliding dovetail with my router to develop the ability to do it at will. Some of these things seem easier than they are when one gets down to it.

Anyway I would use this as an opportunity to get the sliding dovetails right now that you have the hand cut under your belt so to speak.

Of course if you need to get the project done and out the way well then thats a different story.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    I am not skilled enough in WW to answer your question Toni, but I have a suggestion that follows from the lesson you taught me on the hand cut dovetails. I have personally wanted to do something very similar to you and that is cut a huge sliding dovetail with my router to develop the ability to do it at will. Some of these things seem easier than they are when one gets down to it.

Anyway I would use this as an opportunity to get the sliding dovetails right now that you have the hand cut under your belt so to speak.

Of course if you need to get the project done and out the way well then thats a different story.
    You are absolutely right Rob, in fact I'm paying the price for my eargeness in getting it done. What I should have done is make some trials on a scrap piece so that I would be sure enough were to put the line when making the final one, instead of going straight for it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

i thought i noticed the distance looking in porportion to the bottom of the cut.. one part of the noggen didnt listen to the other huh?? looks like the just about half the distance of shaft to cut angle
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i thought i noticed the distance looking in porportion to the bottom of the cut.. one part of the noggen didnt listen to the other huh?? looks like the just about half the distance of shaft to cut angle
    By "noggen" you mean brain?? Translate please
    Best regards,
    Toni

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    By "noggen" you mean brain?? Translate please
    sorry reverting to normal language toni yes its another slang word for brain or thinking mechanisum..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    sorry reverting to normal language toni yes its another slang word for brain or thinking mechanisum..
    No need to be sorry Larry, now my noggen has learnt another word
    Best regards,
    Toni