Frame and panel fixing question

What you see on the first pic is part of my seven drawer dresser, the brown sides are going to be the legs, and the lateral panels are made out of hard maple.
t01.jpgt03.jpg
Initially I thought about fixing the panel to the web frame by means of a sliding dovetail, but when I tried to make it (first attempt in my life) I just blew it. See pics.
t04.jpgt05.jpg

Now, here is my question:
As the intention was to support the side panels, would it be the same if I just put a screw on the center to fix the panel and maybe two more on sliding holes to allow for wood movement and at the same time prevent warping?
The panels are attached to the legs by a groove and dado with some space for wood movement.

It would spare me the hassle of the sliding dovetails and I think it would work just fine.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You've got plenty of overlap. Can you put a filler in that dovetail slot?

I guess I could, in the pic the gap is on one side for the sake of explaining it clearly but it should be evenly distributed, so if I go for that I would need a filler on both sides and then route it again to the right measure I guess:dunno:

I am not skilled enough in WW to answer your question Toni, but I have a suggestion that follows from the lesson you taught me on the hand cut dovetails. I have personally wanted to do something very similar to you and that is cut a huge sliding dovetail with my router to develop the ability to do it at will. Some of these things seem easier than they are when one gets down to it.:(

Anyway I would use this as an opportunity to get the sliding dovetails right now that you have the hand cut under your belt so to speak.

Of course if you need to get the project done and out the way well then thats a different story.:)

I am not skilled enough in WW to answer your question Toni, but I have a suggestion that follows from the lesson you taught me on the hand cut dovetails. I have personally wanted to do something very similar to you and that is cut a huge sliding dovetail with my router to develop the ability to do it at will. Some of these things seem easier than they are when one gets down to it.:(

Anyway I would use this as an opportunity to get the sliding dovetails right now that you have the hand cut under your belt so to speak.

Of course if you need to get the project done and out the way well then thats a different story.:)

You are absolutely right Rob, in fact I'm paying the price for my eargeness in getting it done. What I should have done is make some trials on a scrap piece so that I would be sure enough were to put the line when making the final one, instead of going straight for it.:(

i thought i noticed the distance looking in porportion to the bottom of the cut.. one part of the noggen didnt listen to the other huh?? looks like the just about half the distance of shaft to cut angle:rolleyes: