Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What About the Spouse??

What About the Spouse??

Yesterday my wife was asking about carving. I told her I had a beginner set of carving tools and that she could play around a little. Well, she talked me into going into the basement (shop, get your minds out of the gutter) to show her the tools. She played around a with a piece of cherry and seemed to be interested even more. I told her that basswood would be easier to carve if she really wanted to try something. Shortly after that we were off to Woodcract to pick up a book and a chunk of basswood.

So now I'm getting mixed feelings on this whole deal. What happens if she really likes this?? She will surely figure out how much I've been spending on my shop tools once she starts to want more. On the other hand she may be more willing to let me spend $$ on tools knowing that they will benefit her too. Im sooo confused.
    Jim

I'd encourage her, I very much doubt that the two of you will overlap in likes in a bad way, and once she starts making stuff from wood, she might just understand why you spend as much time in the shop as you do.

One nice thing about carving is for most pieces it is fairly portable, in fact you can make up a good lap bench for her to carve on, so she can do so just about anywhere.

I'd be thrilled if my wife were interested, but she is not, not even sort of
    Then again, we do spend 10 to 12 hours plus a day together working, so maybe having separate hobbies is a good thing..........?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I think lady woodworkers are HOT

Encourage her JIm, if my wife wasn't so much into this quilting that she does I'd certainly try to coax her into coming out to the shop and make something.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Some of the best carvers in our local woodcarving club are ladies. My woodturners club is seeing an increase in woman turners also.

jim, i can say with out a doubt the best students i`ve had have been female.....they pay more attention to detail then most guys and have a built in eye for balance-n-proportion......get her some chisels and a hunk of mahogany instead of basswood......i think it carves better....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

My wife's not into woodworking and may never be, but she does know what I spend on tools as almost everything is talked over. Some things like saw blades, some gadgets are not discussed but she can see the check book just as easy as I can so most things get talked about. She is VERY lenient as she knows some things need replacing and others will help me build better projects (hopefully). Even though it was easier at the begining to get things because I didn't have anything. My wife is mostly into cross stitch, needle work, quilting, etc so she has her expenses, even though not as much as mine right now.
    Rise above the rest

Get her into it! I wish my wife and could share the hobby, but she's just not interested.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Mines been wanting to help out with sanding and staining, to get me caught up some.
    I gotta be careful when I direct Her to where something is. I might have another tool stashed close by that She will spot.

There is a Hegner in my shop that belongs to the LOML - all hers - bought it with her own $$$. So, she knows how expensive tools can be - she also has good taste in tools! I wish she would use it more! I feel guilty spending my evenings in the shop after being away from her all day.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

My wife is a turner, though she does dabble at some flatwork. She's got two lathes and tons of turning tools, a duplicator, and accessories, a better sandpaper supply than I have, and her wood stash is, if not more expensive, larger than mine [and I have a few thousand bd/ft of some nice wood]. A trip to Gilmer is bad enough. A trip together with her is...bad.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Oh, not necessarily woodworking. But the passion she shows for it. It could have been sewing [almost as expensive] or boat racing. Doesn't matter.

Your wife sounds like she is exploring. She may decide to move on to something else, maybe not. If my wife decided to get into carving and I didn't have the tools already, I would put off buying my next widget to buy her tools. Even if that meant a year down the road she decided to do something else. Life is short. Might as well do things we fall in love with and encourage others to do so as well.

Take care, Mike
    Wenzloff & Sons Sawmakers