Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: pricing??

pricing??

ok since jeff is talking sales ,, i got a question,, was asked by a retailer freind of the better half to make a couple gizzmos for the quilt world.. to sell at her shop so last wknd i figured i would get after it and made two deliverd them monday afternoon had a price in my head as to what i wanted the lady was glad to get the in ther and even tried one out.. well no more said ather than what i was asking for them.. told her and left. well this after the betterhalf get as call and in a roundabout way the lady finally says she neds 30 % for sellun them well she asked me to do it.. and now she is gettin in to the profits.. so do i raise the price 30% or just sell these and dont come back. maybe finad another place that isnt asking for 30% .. or am i all wet here???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I would think that it depends on how many she can sell and if it's worth your time. Can the job lead to other sales? I've wholesaled stuff to dealers because there was added benefit to me. (I get premo birdseye from them) Otherwise I stick to my price depending on volume. If somebody is moving 50-100 pens per month it is in my interest to give them a better price break as long as I am happy with the proceeds.

she comissioned them she can mark `em up however high she wants.
    if she wants `em 30% cheaper send her packing.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Last edited by John Bartley; 01-15-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Make sure you smile and drip sweetness
    i don't know about y'all, but larry smiling and dripping sweetness would scare the biscuits outta me...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

if you established a price and made it clear what you wanted and she accepted the merchandise, thats it.
    if you were sorta wishy washy cause it was a friend of the family,(or wifes good friend, tread carefully, the ice always looks thicker than it is) well, nuff said.

obviously I dont build anything for profit, but I did post somewhere here about how family and friends asking me to build for them, even though Im strictly amateur, is a touchy situation.(especially when they offer money and say I dont expect you to work for nothing)
    Last edited by allen levine; 06-24-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Tell her that she knows your price. She can mark them up whatever she wants. Then like John said, ask her how many more she wants.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i don't know about y'all, but larry smiling and dripping sweetness would scare the biscuits outta me...
    thats what i was thinkun to dan,, i about choked when i read this from yu

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    thats what i was thinkun to dan,, i about choked when i read this from yu
    Ah come on Larry, just bat them baby blues to her and you can name yer own price

serious now...

after a min of composure from dans comment:

i had figured out my cost and what i felt i needed for the work. then i took them in and like i wrote nothing was said it all, acted like she was just gonna do us a favor.. like a freind would do for another.. we mentioned what we wanted for them and then again nothing was said,, no money tranferred or mentioned to be. so i quess i got a mess now and al li was tryun to do was make a honest dollar and save some quilter a few in the meantime..i quess i can just get them back and she can whistle dixie or whatever tune she likes..becasue once i add her 30% they are only around 15 less than the internet plus shipping..thought maybe i could get alittel side work this way on other things...