Announcing my new coop de ville

ken werner

Sooooo, I worked on this coop de ville for a while. Getting a design going was the hard part. The pullets seem happy, and we are looking forward to the eggs, which should start arriving in a couple of months or so.

As for specs, the coop has 1/2" rigid foam / foil insulation, stands about 6' tall and is overall 8' long. Built to house 4 layers. The end panels all come out for cleaning, and the chicken door is opened from outside via a cord and pulley. The green roofing was surplus from a contractor friend, who had some leftover material from a job. Last image shows the inside with a chicken's eye view looking out. The open dark triangle is actually a plexiglass window. The screen mesh has a door to cover it when it gets cold. We don't want cold chicken you know.

Next time won't do the A frame, but just have vertical walls. Easier on the shoulders when you go in.

The lovely lady on the right is my dear wife, and Leo the dog is also making a guest appearance.

Attachments

• 3:4 front.jpg
    3:4 front.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 84
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 74
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
nice coop ken!
we`ve got 50 some meat birds goin` and a bakers dozen of layers commin` up;)
they`re all free ranged with suplimental corn-n-kibble.....it`ll be barbeque time here soon.
MVC-089S.JPG

MVC-090S.JPG

Larry, 4 pullets is all. You mean I have to clean the coop?

Tod, nice flock you got there. Do you do you're own slaughtering and butchering? I'm not ready for that. We just want these girls for their eggs.

We're planning on free ranging ours too, just waiting a bit longer for them to get to know their home.

Ken

Ken you are spoiling those chickens:rofl: That looks like a luxury chicken condo. Next you will be putting in running water and electric light. Going to be tough getting one of them on the table.

Tod you got the right idea....free range. mmmmmmm I can smell that chicken on the barbie mate.

You guys remind me of a small side track story. Back in the day when I was in the military out in the African bush we had these chickens as pets. Well i adopted a bunch and we had the hen sit on a round of eggs. Now in our military at the time because we were all conscripts we used to have a party when it got to the point in you service when you had 40days left. Some of you guys will remember the rock and rock song that went something like it 40 days to get back..... well on our 40 day party the eggs in the chicken coop hatched. They could not have timed it better. The guys in camp (already full of moonshine) went wild. You would think they had all become fathers.:rofl::rofl::rofl: We never had the heart to put those chickens on a plate even when we were down to plain old dry rations.:)

Sorry for the hijack Ken.:(

Ken you are spoiling those chickens:rofl: That looks like a luxury chicken condo. Next you will be putting in running water and electric light...

I'll bet those chickens were amazed when Ken revealed the new coop to them. It must have been a real pullet surprise.

Ba-dump!

I'll be here all week. Tip your waitresses. :D

looks like live targets to me tod:) lets see looks to be about 30 yrds, zipp yup chicken for supper:)

I was looking at Tod's pictures thinking it looked like good practice with the ol' Daisy BB gun, but then I realized that would probably not be strong enough to do a clean kill. He'd need good CO2 powered Crossman pullet gun.

I know it's bad to pun twice in one thread, but I couldn't help myself. :p

Rob, good hijack. And, er, there is an electric light in it - to keep the girls warm when it's 10 below [F] here. No plumbing though.

Vaughn, you are punishing us. Too funny. I had to read it out loud to get it.

Bartee, let your wife see it, then tell her how much you'd like her to have one, but those darn subdivision rules.....

Ken

So,
A-frame?
How long before the chickens get their groove on to complete the retro picture? I'm seeing gold chains on the rooster, strutting around the yard to "Funkytown", and the hens flashing peace signs to each other with their little chicken feet. Got any pilot style sun glasses that might fit the birds? Better keep an eye on the hooka they're planning for the bottom level of the coop - make sure there's no wacky weed activity.
Viva la 70's - chicken style.

Seriously though, that's a nice project. I think it looks great, and a great use of what you had on hand.
Great job.
Paul Hubbman

A woman goes to the pyschiatrist. Says "Doctor, you have to help my brother, he thinks he's a chicken"

"How long" says the shrink "has he had this delusion?"

"About 6 years doctor."

"And why" he asks "did you wait 6 years to seek medical attention for your brother?"

"We needed the eggs."

So,
A-frame?

Seriously though, that's a nice project. I think it looks great, and a great use of what you had on hand.
Great job.
Paul Hubbman

actually he ordered it just for this project ,, its been on back order for some time just arrived recently.. the contractor was booked up previosly:) wanted to make sure the stimulus package came threw.