new lathe

John that lathe looks the same as my dad's Grizzly G0462 lathe. Price is simlar too. He has had lots of success with it. The only thing he doesn't like is that the lowest speed is only 550 RPM. As long as the blank is pretty balanced it works like a charm. I'd be willing to bet the Warco lathes are made in the same factory as Grizzly's.

Do you know anyone in your area that has used any other Warco tools or had experience with their customer service?

Thanks for that Jeff. I don't know of any one in this area who has these tools but I saw one being demonstrated at a woodturning show and it looked to handle a 20 inch x 3inch piece of sycamore with no problems and the lathe was not bolted to the floor. :):)

I agree with Jeff...it looks like it came from the same factory that Grizzly uses. One concern I would have with that lathe is the tool rest. I've read of users who've had problems with it not staying in place, and also the articulated banjo somewhat more prone to breaking due to the leverage involved. The Reeves drive variable speed will also need a little attention from time to time.

If it's what fits the budget, it should be a workable machine with some care. If you can afford to go up to the 1642 Warco shows, that would be a better investment IMHO. Either of them is still WAY better than not having something to turn on. :)

I agree, Grizzly with different paint.
My take on it is somewhat different than the previous posts. This is based on experience with an earlier Grizzly model not too different than this lathe.
The Reeves drive is named after a guy named Reeves, not Satan.
The system gives you variable speeds at a very reasonable price. And, best of all....IT WORKS.
Agreed, the lowest of low speeds is not what one would desire for turning large heavy bowls and such. Bigger, much more expensive lathes handle those jobs well.
The 'articulated' arm you see is an extension used for outboard turning. It can/may be weaker than not using it at all. But, without it, you can't, or don't, have and extension at all. Mine was used and never broke. Understanding your tools and limitations is important to not breaking or injuring yourself. For most, over bed, turning, you won't be using the extension.
Maintenance is minimal. In six years of almost daily use, I put on four belts. One belt was defective or I probably would have gotten by with only three.
If it fits your budget, it is probably the lathe for you. If you can afford more, then do consider bigger and with electronic variable speed.
Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

Gentlemen thank you for all your comments it helps a lot to be able to call on the combined experience that is on here. After loml, reading this with me she has now agreed :eek::eek: that we may be able to strechhhhhhhhhhh the budget a little, so that may help. Chris that list is a great research tool thanks for putting it together :thumb: well now it's back to looking:type: Thanks again.