Red underwear

I do not know in US but here at New Year's eve, there is the (fairly new) tradidition that wearing red underwear on that night will bring you good luck for the rest of the year.:D

Okay, here’s the story:

Went down to Robert’s place – about 25~30 miles away – an got some wood. About 35 bf of 4/4 walnut, and 30 bf of 6/4 curly maple.

The maple was just under 13 feet long. My Toyota pickup bed, with the tailgate down, is about 7½ feet; so about 5 feet of maple were sticking out. I commented that it was quite a bit of overhang, but we put a red flag on it, and I took off for home, using mainly the back roads.

As I got to the one main road that I couldn’t avoid, I noticed a Sheriff’s car behind me – about a hundred yards back. Half a mile or so later, he hit me with the blue lights, and I figured ‘here comes a ticket!’ :(

I pulled over into a nearby driveway, and the deputy gets out and walks up to the truck. Says “Hey guy, I’ve been behind you for a while.” I said, “I know. I saw you back there.” He says “Well, your flag blew off about a quarter mile back. It went over my hood and into the ditch. Got another flag?

By now, figuring I wasn’t going to get a ticket, just some help, I responded, “Yeah, I think so, but if I don’t, I am wearing red underwear.” :D

He looked a bit surprised, hesitated, then said “Jeese, I hope you’ve got a flag!” We found a flag behind the seat, and he watched me staple it to the maple; said “have a nice day!” and got back in his cruiser.

End of story.