Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Your Spouse Really Like Your Projects?

Does Your Spouse Really Like Your Projects?

Lately I've been seeing some really "unattractive" projects that people are making for their spouses and friends. I wonder if the spouses and friends really appreciate getting things or are they just humoring us. My wife will tell me right away if she likes somethign or not, no problem there. Am I the only one who looks at some of the pics and thinks yech? I'm sure that some of the stuff I make draws this reaction from others. Just wondering if others have these kind of thoughts.
    Jim

Style wise, yeah, some things that others make I wonder about, but then again, I'm sure that some wonder about what I make.

Workmanship wise, no, I don't see a lot, if any poorly built things here.

I may not like the style of a particular piece, personally the Arts and Crafts stuff leaves me cold, but others just love it

This does not mean that I cannot appreciate the hard work and skill that goes into a nice A&C piece of furniture.

We all have our likes and dislikes, I make what I like, if I don't like it, I'll not make it, but as I turn pro I know that sometimes I'll have to bite my tongue and make stuff I don't like (style wise) but it will be built correctly, even if I don't like the style.

Cheers!

PS my lovely wife is honest with me too, some times she don't like what I make.............. but then again, what does she know.............. ducks and runs...........
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young View Post
    Am I the only one who looks at some of the pics and thinks yech? I'm sure that some of the stuff I make draws this reaction from others. Just wondering if others have these kind of thoughts.
    I have a firm policy of never commenting on others' project - good, bad or indifferent. I browse several forums, so nobody here ought to feel singled out. If I were to heap praise on stuff that really wow'd me and then say nothing about someone else's project it might raise questions in someone's mind. Even if it didn't, I would feel hypocritical about it.

Besides, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of people who can come up with something nice to say about even the nastiest work. Thank heaven for such folks, because I also plan to post some projects

That's my gutless position and I'm sticking to it !!
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

IMHO taste is all over the place, good bad, and in between. I guess that's why they make Fords, Chevrolets, Dodges, Toyotas, and Nissans.

My wife's pretty honest with me about what she likes and doesn't like in regards to my projects. I think the people who've received my stuff as gifts appreciate them (and of course folks who've purchased things from me do, too), although some people I've met aren't impressed with the things I've made. Opinions, like people, are over the map.

On the forums, I don't hesitate to hand out accolades for excellent work, and also give out some attaboys for work that I may not be real fond of, but I can appreciate and acknowledge the work and effort that goes into making it. And of course there are some times when great work is displayed here and I don't say anything, but that's not because I don't like it. It's either because I've missed the thread, or I've been too busy to write a response.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have wondered the same thing Jim. My wife and I love the Arts and Craft style. We built an new Old House in the cottage style. We had people give us 'things' for the house and you wonder if they have a clue about style or design because their gifts were not us. For that reason I am very careful about making something for someone without asking or knowing they will like it.

Everyone has different tastes. Stu said he doesn't like the A&C style and we just love it. He has said his wife loves Queen Ann. Doesn't do a thing for me or my wife. If I make something for someone I like to know their likes and dislikes before I make it. And I know not to make A&C for them.

I made a box I asked for opinions about on here. Most people didn't like it but I did. I was thinking of giving it to my Niece at Christmas but she is one that will say she likes it for fear of hurting your feelings. She spent some time with us and when she came down to the Lab I was showing her some boxes I had made. She didn't know she was picking hers out. Turns out she really liked the box no one else did so she got if for her Christmas gift from me. I just wasn't going to give her something she didn't like.

I have made things I was very proud of and latter realized it wasn't as good as I thought. I think we get caught up in our accomplishments and we are sometimes blinded by our pride.

Jeff
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

LOML is pretty honest with me, How I can really tell is how many new tools I can buy after each project. I try to make 3D models and mock ups of pieces for the house before I make them, she's very honest about style before I begin work.

Stuart brings up a good point, there are two issues to look at, STYLE and WORKMANSHIP. I have seen many pieces that style wise I don't particularly care for (wouldn't have in my house), but still can drool over the beauty of the wood, craftsmanship and joinery. Workmanship is fairly well defined, style is in the eye of the beholder.

Tony, BCE '75

what`s the ol` saying about the cobblers kids having no shoes .....it doesn`t matter what i make for whom i get the same response...." when are you going to build something for home?".....you guys doing this for fun have alot going for you .......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Jim, if you didn't like the jewelry boxes I made you could have told me...

Topic of the thread, does my spouse like my projects?

Yes, many times I make something I think I'll give away as a gift and WHAM! she lays claim to it. No biggie, she is very much a strong supporter of my endeavors. She has been the one to push me into this arena and see if I can make a few $$$ at, she is also the one who wants to see me buy any new tool (or used) that will help me accomplish that goal. If I were to buy all the things she thinks I need to excel in this business I'd have much more invested than I bought this house and 30 acres for.
    She thinks I have the talent to do it, and she is my support.

About others projects?

Yeah as I'm reading the different projects and the way they are done, I'll give out compliments...they've earned them. I don't do it all the time, sometimes I think I'll comment later on after reading through some others and forget to make comment. I'm not saying everything that is posted to comment to but at least give one to something you truly like. Sometimes when posting a picture, the poster may be only looking for critiques. Whether I like the style or not, I look into the work and see if the person has accomplished what they set out to do.

Go ahead and post a picture of a completed project Jim, I can't wait to tell you "I don't like it"
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

The LOML provides design guidelines up front before I build a project. She finds pictures or styles that she wants incorporated, and I am then required to submit rough drawings to make sure she is good with it. I had done plain paper sketches in the past, but I have since gotten into sketchup and it simplifies it a lot, a whole lot.