Coping sled question........................

Mark Rios

I recently bought a coping sled from Eagle America, model 2100, and Rockler's coping sled to do a comparison of the two.

I got them set up and ready to use today. I'm ready to start making the cope and stick cuts on the door parts for a cabinet job and the bit set is a chamfer tongue and groove set. As I got ready to run the first piece of test wood through the bit on one of the jigs, I realized that I would also be cutting into the edge of the sled/jig base. Is this correct? The cutter/bit will cut the sled until I get to the end of the cut right?

There is no pre-drilled holes or any other means of/to attach(ing) it to any sort of miter slot guide as shown in the pic link below. I would run the piece across the bit with the sled flush/flat against the fence.

I"m not sure what the base is made of but it seems to be some sort of composite plastic. Will this material damage or be too hard on the bit? I can't remember the name of the type of plastic but you folks have mentioned this type of plastic before.

Here's a pic of the Rockler jig: http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?Offerings_ID=16416&TabSelect=Details

As an aside, can someone please tell me what this joint is being made in this pic?http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp?pn=400-1248

The bit set is this one. Whiteside calls it a "Vee Panel Tongue and Groove". It's in the "Glue Joint" section. http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/catalog.html

Is this maybe a finger joint of some kind? It's not important, I'm just curious.

Thanks very much for your advice and information.

Last edited:
I recently bought a coping sled from Eagle America, model 2100, and Rockler's coping sled to do a comparison of the two.

I got them set up and ready to use today. I'm ready to start making the cope and stick cuts on the door parts for a cabinet job and the bit set is a chamfer tongue and groove set. As I got ready to run the first piece of test wood through the bit on one of the jigs, I realized that I would also be cutting into the edge of the sled/jig base. Is this correct? The cutter/bit will cut the sled until I get to the end of the cut right?

There is no pre-drilled holes or any other means of/to attach(ing) it to any sort of miter slot guide as shown in the pic link below. I would run the piece across the bit with the sled flush/flat against the fence.

I"m not sure what the base is made of but it seems to be some sort of composite plastic. Will this material damage or be too hard on the bit? I can't remember the name of the type of plastic but you folks have mentioned this type of plastic before.

Here's a pic of the Rockler jig: http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?Offerings_ID=16416&TabSelect=Details

As an aside, can someone please tell me what this joint is being made in this pic? http://eagleamerica.com/pop_alternat...=V400-1235.jpg

Is this maybe a finger joint of some kind? It's not important, I'm just curious.

Thanks very much for your advice and information.
Mark, I'm not positive, but I believe the bit is supposed to be set high enough to miss the base. Still, a router can cut that material (it's phenolic). The black plastic part is made to be a backer for the cut, and it's made of HDPE (high density polyethelyne) or something similar, so that part you do cut to your profile. It will cut like butter with a router.

The Eagle America link in your post is getting redirected to their home page, BTW.

mark, whenever i cut cope i use a backer board to help prevent tearout....i assume that`s what the plastic piece is? tod

I use a coping sled that I made simular to that. The bit does cut into the top right side of the base of the sled on my set up. I do not know about the plastic as my base is made out of plywood but I think that you are going to have to cut into it. I cannot emagine it hurting your cutters. It only takes off a little anyway. Infinity and MLCS have setup blocks to use that make it a little easier.

I wish that I had more time and I would try to take some pictures that would help but I am having to leave for the airport right now. Will check in later.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be cutting into your sled. You should be cutting into the backerboard which is the piece of wood they have there. Are you riding the sled against the fence or in your miter gauge? I made one verly similar to this from a Shopnotes issue. My sled rides in the miter slot and only the backer board is cut by the cutter.

You shouldn't be cutting into your sled. You should be cutting into the backerboard which is the piece of wood they have there.

In the case of using the sled against the fence that is not totally true. In your case, where you are using a miter slot, I can see how it will work without cutting your sled.

Here are some pictures to try to show how mine works. The bit does not cut totally throught the sled but only trims the top edge. I think that the sled that Mark is using is the same type of setup that I have as I do not see a miter bar. Sorry about the quality of the first two.

Attachments

• dscf0001.jpg
    dscf0001.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 16
  • dscf0002.jpg
    dscf0002.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13
  • dscf0003.jpg
    dscf0003.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 13
  • dscf0004.jpg
    dscf0004.jpg