Dell off lease laptops

Jeff Horton

Looking to replace my Tablet PC with a Notebook/Laptop. I am finding now that my work has shifted to 95% Home Inspection the tablet with the write on screen is less useful.

Since I am not a demanding user I have been looking at used computer and have about decided the Dell's off lease or returns are the way to go. Not having kept up with all the models they have I was hoping someone have used one and give some direction.

I have looked at the outlet and their off lease sites. Due to the MUCH cheaper prices I am leaning toward one of the two year old off lease models. Specifically the Lattitude D410, 420, and 430 and the D610, 620 and 630. Dell has a fairly large selection and prices range from $310 for a well equipped but with a 12.1" screen up to $630 for a very well equipped (more than I want) computer with all the bells and whistles.

I know what I want in processor speed and LOTS of RAM. DVD player for trips. Wireless obviously. Typically it will be used for work. Word processing and internet. Occasionally used to watch the DVD while traveling. So as I said, I am not a demanding user.

Problem is just so many to choice from is picking which one. Anyone familiar with the models? Might help me narrow down the choices?

My laptop from my employer is a 620. I do a LOT of photoshop work, so the RAM is maxed out. not all that impressed with the durability. It locks up on me on a fairly regular basis... not blue screen of death, just blank and won't recover when I move the mouse etc... so I have to pop the battery to reset the system. That might be a software issue, but I'm halfway convinced it is a screen hardware issue. Boss just scratches his head when I mention it.

That being said, I like the machine. It has a useful sized screen, the keyboard has a good feel to it, and it has wireless, including an internal aircard.

Frank, sure I can buy a new $300 laptop. But if you start adding the goodie's to it a new one is close to $800-$1000. More if you want.

Two years old is older technology, but new ones are like using swatting flies with a hammer, it does the job but it is overkill. Why spend 3 times as much when the two year old will more than do the job?

Ned, that is the kind of info I am looking for. What Operating System are you using?

I have a legitimate version of XP Pro that I can and have installed on all my systems. I was thinking of formatting it as soon as I got it and installing this one. Then setting it up the way I like including partitioning the HD.

Good info. Thanks Ned.

Probably is one of the software programs your running. I really hated to switch to XP because W2K has been so solid a performer. It is getting old and a lot of new stuff will not work with it. Plus I bought a couple of 2 year old Dell workstations and put XP pro on them and I have been well pleased. No problems so far.

You might just check at your local computer store. They often have discontinued models that they sell at a large discount. So what you get is a new computer, with a guarantee. It's just not the latest and greatest so they have to discount it pretty hard to get people to buy it.

I got my last laptop that way. HP with dual processor, 1.9GHz, 150GHD, and a big screen. Only 1GB memory but I upgraded. I paid about $650 for it.

Just ask if they have any deals on discontinued laptops.

Mike

Jeff
Tiger Direct has a REFURBISHED ACER AMD ATHLON PROCESSOR 1.6 GIGAHERTZ, 3 GIG DDR2 RAM,160 GIG HARDDRIVE, DVDRW , 15.4" SCREEN,VISTA HOME INSTALLED FOR $299.00. Its a 72 hour sale.
Larry

Jeff,
I have a Dell desktop... if I had it to do over again, would not go with the Dell... I get the same hang up problem that Ned mentioned... I use both IE8 and Firefox... Firefox for most of my searches... IE mostly because I still have and use a Yahoo mail account for some things... my machine will just stop responding to anything... only way out is to shut down and reboot... plus the either the power supply, the heat sink or the fan is hinky... sometimes it sounds like a Cesna powering up to take off.... I called Dell, got Michael in Tech Service in Mumbai... he said I had to reformat my hard drive... ???????????? for a hardware problem???????

You can get a pretty nice HP from Walmart for under $600 .... as per my step-son.

I have two Dell GX260's running I bought surplus in the house with ZERO issues. I have two more sitting here I have not gotten running yet. I think my personal one has locked up one time? I have had a lot of Dells and had good luck with them but these are not the cheapest consumer models either.

I want a business class machine, not a home computer. I may not be a demanding user as for as computer power, but mine lives in on the road. Constantly being vibrated, bumped, banged and jostled. That's why I am looking at these machines. They are designed for road warriors, not just sitting on desk somewhere.

Last edited:
I want a business class machine, not a home computer. I may not be a demanding user as for as computer power, but mine lives in on the road. Constantly being vibrated, bumped, banged and jostled. That's why I am looking at these machines. They are designed for road warriors, not just sitting on desk somewhere.

Jeff,
My step-son is a long haul truck driver... he uses an HP - don't know the model, but it's about 3 years old now and except for the fact that the last time it bounced off his bunk, it damaged the disc drive so he can't read a new disc, it's still working great... he lives in his truck and is on the road 24/7... I've heard good and bad about Dell, but mine has not been a good machine... for the price I paid, I'm very disappointed....

I decided on one last night. Did a lot of research and settled on a Lattitude D620. Has a Dual Core processor 1.8 ghz processor, 80 gig HD, 2 megs ram CD/DVD, etc. Talked to a few people and read the reviews.

The wide screen format monitor is what swayed me. It's still a 14" but I don't want one of the big screens. I want portability and I love wide screen since I always have at least two aplicationss open. Dual core processor was another plus. This thing should be faster than my desk top.

It's a little over what I wanted to spend but for $40 more I got a lot more computer. It came with no OS so that made it cheap and I wanted to put my own on there anyway. First thing I do when I get a new computer is format the drive, partition it and reinstall things 'my way'. So no OS is not a problem with me. I was going to put XP Pro on it anyway.

I will set this one up so that it and my desktop synchronize the files so when I am in the field if someone calls I can go the computer and access the same data I have in the office.

That's the specs on the unit I have Jeff.

One thing to try and get at some point is a docking station for it. They're set up for it, and make a sweet desktop unit. Photos in awhile, I've got to get driving at the moment, but I just shot the two stations in the back of my van to show you.