Difference betweek MDF and Particle Board

Kevin Reid

I was in the local Borg today looking for some MDF for a radial arm saw table. The only thing I could find was something called particle board. Is this the same thing? Surely the Borgs should have MDF.

No - particle board and MDF are totally different animals

They do have "some" similarities - being that they are made from particles of wood - but the similarities stop there.

MDF - is a much better material than particle board.

So it depents on what you need to use it for.

Watcha makin?

Well, I guess it is another trip to the Borg again today to see if they have what I need. I hate going there because it is about 40 miles one way. Thanks for all the help on the differences between particle board and MDF. The website says they stock the MDF but I sure couldn't find it. This time I am taking a SKU number.

Well it turns out that the reason I couldn't find the MDF at the Borg yesterday is that someone had been sorting plywood and covered up the MDF with what they didn't want without returning it to the proper place. I finally asked someone that worked there where the MDF was and even he couldn't find it for a while. In any case I got what I needed so this week I will get my RAS set up.

By the way this saw was donated to me. It is a Craftsman that had never even been out of the box. My sister bought it for my brother in law and he never even opened the box. His loss is my gain. Lucky for me my sister never buys anything but the top of the line stuff. :)