Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Ba ack !!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

I'm Ba ack !!

Well it been over a year since I was last on this forum and I appologise to each and everyone of you. It's a long story but here are a few of the details.
    The company I was working for went belly up and I found myself like so many others looking for work. it's a tough job market and especialy tough for someone as senior as I am most companies want younger folks not someone who is hopeing to retire in a few years. after going through much on my savings and my 401K turn into a 101K I was geting very desperate. I got my Commercial Drivers License and started driving an 18 wheeler cross country. Makes it hard to spend time on the internet or get any shop time in. So I took stock in my situation and with my wifes blessing I decided to end my trucking days and started out doing woodworking full time. I picked a relativly uncrowded aspect on woodworking in the Phoenix area. Restoring antiques. I am happy to report that my shop is overflowing and I have a backlog of work. I've gotten so busy that I had to expand and my shop now includes all of my three car garage. I'll post some pictures later of some of the pieces I've done. Well I've bored you all to long and all I can say is I'm glad to be back.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, that is fantastic. It is great to hear about someone turning it around during this mess. Great to have you back around.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hi Don,
    I'm new to this forum but looking to retire in a year or so. Glad you pulled yourself up and are having success. My company went belly-up in October 2007 but was picked up by another company 6 weeks later. They honored my 25 years of service and we've been going on business as usual ever since. Hope to get into something along your line of work around the end of 2010.

Roger

Good to see that you are back to the forum and back to doing something you like! I hope that things continue to go your way and that you are able to spend more time here.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Welcome back, Don, glad to hear from you despite the circumstances.
    Restoring antiques can be full of challenging projects, from what I hear, hope it goes well.
    (I don't think I could handle the long-haul trucking thing either...)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

One of the founding fathers

welcome back don,, and to hear it from one of the family founders for those that arent aware ..don was one of the first group to get this place running so he deserves a big hand just for perserverin and coming out back on top
    Last edited by larry merlau; 06-28-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Welcome back, Don, glad to hear from you despite the circumstances.
    Restoring antiques can be full of challenging projects, from what I hear, hope it goes well.
    (I don't think I could handle the long-haul trucking thing either...)
    The restoration business is full of challanges but also very rewarding. I just finished a large desk that was built in Germany over 100 years ago. I am doing dinning table that the top was a real mess and I am building two benches to match. I have an antique twin cradle to do, a high chair and a treadle sewing machine that needs all of the vaneer replaced. I haved clients who have pieces that I haven't picted up their pieces due to a lack of room in the shop.

The long hual trucking wasw realy boring and the money wasn't worth the time away from home.

Thanks for the kind words.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Well Don, it is good to hear that things have turned around for you

Nice to see you back, and I'll look forward to the pics!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Don,

Great to hear you are on you feet and have started a small ( ??? ) business.

You are a winner !!!

Antique restorations would really scare me. So GOOD Luck...

I know you are working some very long hours, but you are working, it's your business and you are HOME !!!

Let us see what you are doing occasionally.

Man, you had a bunch of us worried. Glad you came out the other end on your feet doing something you love to do! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3