I have mentioned in the past that I was starting a new business, Kudzu Craft. I knew it would take some time to get this going and that is proving to be very true. I can't say I am behind schedule because I was smart enough to never set one. Just work on this as I can and let it happen as it happened.
Thought I would update my progress. Web site is up but there isn't anything for sale on there yet. I hate sites that do that but I understand why now. It's all about getting your name out there! I am sure there is some editing to be done, will have to get Phyliss on that for me. Plus I just discovered that my cool drop down menus don't work on Cell Phones. So that's another thing I need to work on.
Still not lined up with wholesalers yet so I can be a dealer. But I need some parts soon so that will make me move on that.
The big project has been getting the first boat kit details worked out. I have gone back and forth as to what I wanted to offer in the kits. I am leaning toward a staged approach. Offering different kits with different levels of materials/completeness. Like a basic frame kit. Then maybe a more complete kit with nearly all of the wood parts pre-manufactured. Maybe a deluxe kit with (almost) everything you would need. First I have to work out a list of what all it takes! That has been harder than I expected.
I started by laying out frame patterns for the Curlew design so I could make frames from the patterns. I then cut out the parts from the templates knowing there would be some changes that would need to be made. There always is. I started a quick assembly of the boat to find the problems.
Attachment 34004 Attachment 34005
This allowed me to make the necessary changes and trim the parts as needs. Then I could transfer these changes back to my templates. I found one frame that was totally wrong. I had missed one dimension by an inch and of course that totally messed with my mind. Once I found the problem I had too make a new template and then frame. But better to find it now!
I have been taking lots of photos as I went and when I got tired of being on my feet I would move to the computer and start writing the assembly manual while what I did was fresh on my mind. I have a long time friend that dearly loves proof reading and she is not a woodworker. Not very handy around the house either so she has been a HUGE asset. When she doesn't understand what I am saying I know it's time to rewrite and/or rephotograph that step.
Ever tried to take photos of yourself working?? Not easy and of course the subject material is questionable too. Not to mention that my thumb stands out a like a Sore Thumb.
Attachment 34006 Attachment 34007 Attachment 34008
One thing I never thought about till I was rereading the first couple of chapters is that my photos are not accurate. I took photos as I developed the kit. The parts now look different as I changed some or I found a way to improve the kit. I have realized that once I get all the parts finalized, I need to take the darn thing apart AGAIN!
Put it back together and take new photos as I go so that photos match up with the parts the builder will have in his hand. Not my prototype parts that are not finished.
I want photos of what the kit parts look like so people can recognize them. Just amazes me all the work that is involved in developing these kits. I started keeping track of the hours and decided that wasn't smart.
I could go on but I am sure you get the picture.