Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUCESS! Bowsaw Mark II

SUCESS! Bowsaw Mark II

Hi gang,
    I just finished the construction of my 12" Graymercy Bowsaw kit. My first go around was,....not good. Let's face it, it was catastrophic!

But I learned a lot about the importance of grain orientation, not to deviate from the plan drastically, and to go a little lighter when shaping critical areas on the arms!

This time around I paid closer attention to the orientation of the grain. The arms are flat sawn and the cross piece is quarter sawn. I also attempted to rive/split out the blanks from a huge chunk of dried out hickory. That didn't work out so well. That hickory was HARD! I ended up just matching the grain direction to the profile on the template and bandsawing out the piece.

One thing I learned on this project was how COOL card scrapers are. I always knew they were great on flat stock but a well sharpened scraper will remove rasp marks on a curved section and leave you a super smooth finish! So I spent a lot less time sanding (which is always a plus for me).

Anyway, here it is. As you can see the knobs and toggle are coccobolo, and the cross piece and arms are hickory. I plan to sign it (somewhere) and apply shellac to the components later.

Also, you can see parts for another bowsaw in the background. Well, because of the failure I had with my Bowsaw Mark I, I made two of everything this time! I plan to order another Graymercy kit and use these "spare" parts to make a bowsaw for my friend who is helping me rebuild my lawn tractor.
    See ya around,
    Dominic

That is so very cool, and so nicely done.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Very nice, Dominic. What sorts of things would a person typically use a saw like that for? Is it used similar to a coping saw?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Man Dominic, that is sweet

I'm thinking you will be finding excuses just to use that saw, I'm sure it will put a big smile on your face each time you pick it up
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Removing waste from dovetails

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very nice, Dominic. What sorts of things would a person typically use a saw like that for? Is it used similar to a coping saw?
    Thanks Vaughn!

I originally built this saw to take the place of a junky Cobalt coping saw. I wanted to use it to remove waste from dovetails prior to parring done to the cut line with a chisel. However, now that I've built one I can see myself building MORE bow saws. These things are just so NICE to use! I wouldn't mind building a cross cut version (ala Frank Klaus).
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Thanks!

Stuart and Rennie,
    Thanks for the compliments!

And Stuart, right after I finished it I was looking for stuff to cut. I must have spent 30 minutes just playing around with this thing! It sure is fun to use!
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Well done and super neat project.

Real nice Dominic. I have the same bow saw and like it a lot.

Bowsaw with finish applied

I gave the bowsaw a couple coats of garnet shellac and then signed the cross piece using a pyrography (wood burning) pen. After that I gave it a coat of Renaissance Wax.

After assembling it I couldn't resist taking it for a bit of a ride. I cut that complex "squiggle" with very little effort. Gotta' love that thin blade!

Anyway, here it is:
    See ya around,
    Dominic

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Very nice Dom, I've often thought about building some bow saws of differant sizes. Maybe with you inspiration I'll do it. When I get time.

Vaughn, the bow saw was the work hourse of funiture maker way back when. I've read articles about the larger ones being used for resawing and cutting vereer.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward