Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Doors coming along

Kitchen Doors coming along

I will need to get some pics up soon but at this point I have the rails and styles cut for 6 doors and the faces for 6 drawers.

My question is I will have 24 doors total and about 20 Drawers. The existing doors already have hinges on them that are mortised. I have not done anything like this "yet" but know there would be about a $300 savings if I were to re-user the hinges already there. But I would then have to figure out how to mortise and attach the hinges to the new doors.

What would be the best technique? I know you need pics to really help I will try and get some when I am home.

Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

If they are the cup style hinges, as Ive just learned, look up the brand and you will probably be able to find out the cup size, as in 35 mm, and just need a forstner bit. You can build a simple jig, or buy one for 10 dollars to set the hinges in the doors.

I was wondering if I could use a Forester bit, I am planning on taking the hinges of one of the doors and see if a round hole would work.

I should also see if they are all hung at the same spot on all the doors, then making a jig would be easy.
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Thibert View Post
    I was wondering if I could use a Forester bit, I am planning on taking the hinges of one of the doors and see if a round hole would work.

I should also see if they are all hung at the same spot on all the doors, then making a jig would be easy.
    if they're the 'Euro style' hinges, you'll need a 35mm forstner type bit. A 1-3/8" bit works almost perfectly, too.

The hole will need to be about half an inch (12mm) deep, with its edge about 1/8" (3mm) from the edge of the door.

I've installed a couple hundred Blum and Hafele hinges this way.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I hear ya, I always thought the mortises in those euro hinges didnt look round, since the cup part of the hinge usually isnt all the way round, but I think they all are going to be.(my plumber gave me a bucket of used hinges he had from an old woodworker, all the brands needed 35mm holes)

Jim the hinges have the word Blum on them. Would it also have the size lister somewhere?
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Dan, if they look anywhere similar to these, then they've very likely the 35mm Euro hinges:

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhat similar to the first one
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

somewhat similar to the first one
    if thats the case then you have european style hinges, now measure down from the top of your doors and you find a measure ment they ususally are the same distance down from the top and the same distance up from the bottom. so you would need to have two stops set up for your new doors.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Would I do this before or after I put the doors together? It would certianly be easier to handle a piece of wood than the whole door!
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA