Recent turnings

First is a big segmented vase 12"x28" mesquite and walnut. Southwest style. It took quite a while, doubt if I will go that big again, unless, of course someone pays me lots of money to:D

Next is an Asian style HF from Willow Acacia. Man I love that stuff, It's so stable I left the pith in the center, no DNA, no sealing...no problems:). It's about 8"x8". The lid is Ash, My thinking was to use something with a pronounced grain,(like the Acacia) but in a contrasting color.

And last is a matching set of sconces made from an acacia form. 8.5"x14" I'm hoping they will sell well at the craft shows. Thanks for looking! BTW, could someone explain what the trick is to interspercing the photos with text? Mine always end up on the bottom:eek:.

Attachments

• mesquite sw vase.jpg
    mesquite sw vase.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 53
  • acacia bulbous.jpg
    acacia bulbous.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 46
  • acacia bulbous2.jpg
    acacia bulbous2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 45
  • acacia sconce.jpg
    acacia sconce.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 55
first off,
Wow, nice work! I really like that tall piece, just so much going on visually on it.

as for pictures, now that you have the photos uploaded, right click on each one and in IE select copy shortcut (the link location), and then hit the 'image' button (mountains on the yellow square) and paste the link into the field. There you go, photos in the text Plus photos at the bottom of the post.

Last edited:
More great work, Barry. :thumb: I suspect the sconces will sell real quickly.

...as for pictures, now that you have the photos uploaded, right click on each one and in IE select copy shortcut (the link location), and then hit the 'image' button (mountains on the yellow square) and paste the link into the field. There you go, photos in the text Plus photos at the bottom of the post.

I'd never tried it that way. Dunno the advantage to having them at the bottom of the post and mixed with the text.

About halfway through this tutorial is a section titled "Posting Your Picture". It shows how I'd suggest doing it. :)

Barry, I forgot to ask earlier...what do you do on the insides of the sconces? Are they empty, or are they rigged for lights or candles?

Also, the segmented vase is nice, but I suspect it's only 12" tall and you just found a real little dog. :p

what do you do on the insides of the sconces?
Vaughn, So far, I have simply put a back on them, and left them empty...for fake flowers and such. I,ve considered the light option, but it would probably mean an ugly electrical cord leading to the sconce, or the sconce positioned over an existing fixture, and it would probably need to be custom made for that fixture. I'm thinking that might be a special order thing. I'd also want it to be a light source that produces little heat, since that could crack and dry out the wood. But the idea of something turned very thin so some light passes through it is a neat idea, NIP for example.