Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: big decision, historic life passage

big decision, historic life passage

Folks, I have decided to sell my film cameras.
    For me, that is almost as huge a decision as giving up my flintlock rifles.
    I started photography in 1953 as a newly hired sports reporter/photographer and my editor shoved a 4x5 Speed Graphic in my paws and set me out the door on what would become a career.
    Not that many years ago, I was still clinging to my film and claiming that this digital thing would never catch on.
    It did.
    I haven't shot a frame of film in several years. My two Nikons, lenses and accessories are languishing in a cabinet, not getting any newer.
    Hopes are I can get enough for the set to upgrade my Sony DSC-H2 to a new Olympus SP-590UZ.
    (and, yes, this shot was taken with a digi cam)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikons.jpg  

Frank, I feel your pain. I sold my Cannon AE-1 to help finance the purchase of my Nikon D50. However, I'm still holding on to my Nikon F1 with the f:1.2 50mm.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

My wife still has her Olympus OM1, and won't part with it. Problem is fewer and fewer places to do the processing, and so much easier use with digital.

Dageurrotypes, tintypes, glass negatives, slides, film - all surpassed as newer techniques surpass them. Kodak is quitting Kodachrome... May your equipment RIP, until 100 years from now some photo Neander type revitalizes them.

I'm still holding onto my Nikon F1 also. Don't have a clue as to why. I'm not even sure where it is these days.

I sometimes pull this camera out to make the kids laugh when they pull out there 4 inch video cameras, gets a good laugh.
    I just dont have the heart to throw it in the garbage, I cant even find my AE1, I just know its somewhere buried in this house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 995 (Medium).jpg  

I've still got my Pentax ME Super, but it's been years since it saw any film.

Frank, the Olympus you're considering looks like a nice setup. Since you know how to use an SLR, have you considered keeping your Nikon lenses and going to a Nikon digital SLR instead? I think you can find an SLR body for about the same price...maybe even a bit less. The SLR would give you oodles of control, like a film camera. On the other hand, the Olympus has some pretty cool extra features that an SLR doesn't have.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

About 4 years ago I sold all my Canon bodies, lenses, flashes and filters to pay for half of my table saw. I hadn't used film in the cameras for about 2 years and I knew I wasn't ever going to again.

Now I have a Canon S5 IS, it works well but I sure would like a DSLR.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've still got my Pentax ME Super, but it's been years since it saw any film.

Frank, the Olympus you're considering looks like a nice setup. Since you know how to use an SLR, have you considered keeping your Nikon lenses and going to a Nikon digital SLR instead? I think you can find an SLR body for about the same price...maybe even a bit less. The SLR would give you oodles of control, like a film camera. On the other hand, the Olympus has some pretty cool extra features that an SLR doesn't have.
    Vaughn, you are overlooking the stubborn old fart factor. My Nikons are Fe2 models with strikly manual lenses. You have no idea how hard it was for obstinate ole me to yield and go with auto-everything. I still love the control and creativity of manual focus, aperture, everthing. I miss it.
    But, still, you do have a point. It is hard (not impossible) to selective focus a non-slr digi cam. But, I think my approach to picture taking has changed a bit and I'm real happy with the results I get with the current Sony. My son has the best of everything in Nikon slrs and, if nothing else, the weight puts me off. The light weight and handiness of this mid-range type camera makes me a fan. And, one could argue (something I never do ) that it is an slr. The lenses just don't change, they zoom.

Frank,
    those look like good old war-horse cameras. I've still got my first 35mm, a Minolta x700 iirc, it's tucked away in a drawer along with a bronica 645 etrsi. I'm actually considering resurrecting my RB67 rig and throwing my hat back into the portrait biz these days, for added income. Senior portraits, family shots and the like.
    At least initially, I know I'll be able to run the RB, but I'd like to get a decent digital with interchangeable lenses. My big problem is I'm out of date on the technology, so I've put off even seriously researching things.
    -Ned

Frank,
    I wouldn't call it obstinate, I think it's more like staying with what works. It's really hard for me to part with something that works fine but has been obsoleted by new technology. I still can't part with my SLRs - Topcon Super D (circa 1964). They were my Dad's and I inherited them when I had photography in college. They're so sturdy (heavy) that when in the bad part of town, they doubled as defensive weapons. Still use them, but not as often these days. Most of the photography we do in our house is point and shoot snapshots. In that regard, digital is fantastic.

Wes