Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels for a Steady Rest

Wheels for a Steady Rest

I mostly do spindle turning for furniture. To support small work, I made a steady rest, shown in the attached pixs, using in-line skate wheels.

My problem is that if I try to support anything smaller than about 1/2" I can't bring the wheels in close enough - the wheels hit before they touch the spindle.

To fix this, I need smaller wheels but I don't know what to use. Any ideas?

I'd probably need really small rubber wheels, maybe an inch in diameter, to be able to support really small things. I thought about roller things, but it's generally better to have the wheels with a small footprint on the spindle so you can work all of the spindle except for the small footprint of the wheels.

All suggestions appreciated. Maybe this problem has already been solved in lathe land.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steady-rest-1.jpg   Steady-rest-2.jpg  
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Skateboard wheels are a much smaller diameter than inline skate wheels

They are about an inch wide, but that might actually help, the good ones have ball bearings in them, and you can easily buy just the wheels, as skaters change wheels for fashion, different surfaces for just fun!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

If you are doing really small spindles make a string steady, it is what the pros use for really spindly spindles. Sorry, the pics of have of it are at the L shop, I'm at home now.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I ran into the problem turning the spindles for the back of a Windsor chair, specifically the chair shown in the attached pix. Each spindle is long and without the steady rest, it flops around quite a bit between centers.

My estimate of 1/2" for the steady rest I have is actually too small. Those spindles were a bit larger than 1/2" diameter and the steady rest would not support them properly.

So I'm looking for smaller wheels which will allow me to turn things like those chair back spindles with support. But I'd like narrow wheels, like the in-line skate wheels, but in a smaller diameter, and with good bearings, like the in-line skate bearings.

I suppose I could use the bearings by themselves, and that's what I'll do if I can't find any wheels to meet my needs.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windsor-chairs-3.jpg  
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, check out >> THIS << page, lots of good ideas there!
    William Arthur Ward

Mike -- If you want to try turning wheels to meet your specifications, you may want to look into this stuff. I've used it mostly for jamb chucks. It holds it's shape very well, I've even drilled and tapped it to screw onto my spindle.

I originally bought it to turn wheels, but have not gotten around to it yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/21325-UHMW-Hot-P...ayphotohosting

Tony, BCE '75

Mike, how about the rubber wheels used for RC planes?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/whlsae01.asp

You'd have to get creative with mounting them, but they might do the trick. They have sizes down to 1/2" diameter.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Mike, could you alter the spacing on the wheels...set one wheel on the other side of the rest and maybe a block on the third so they don't all touch the spindle at the same apex? Don't know if that would work or not.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Thanks for the suggestions. Vaughn, Those wheels look like what I need. I wouldn't have thought to look there.

Chuck, that's how I was able to turn those spindles - I moved the top arm to the other side of the jig. But with my design, with captured arms, there's still a problem (I won't go into details) so I was looking for smaller wheels as a simple solution.

Tony, thanks for the pointer - I'll check it out.

Mike
    Ancora imparo

I am currently using some homemade wheels, (scroll down a bit) some small bearings, an old kitchen chopping board and some "O" rings
    Chas. just a traveller on the road of time.

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site