Thread: Looking for a Lexan source?

Looking for a Lexan source?

i am looking for a source of colored lexan. green or orange. scraps would work but a small sheet would as well.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

What size and thickness? I will look and see if I still have a suppleir book on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    What size and thickness? I will look and see if I still have a suppleir book on this.
    hey Al lets go for 24"x24" x.25" thanks

Larry,

Out on the left coast, we have Tap Plastics. I called them and they only carry a clear gray in Lexan, 2X2X , for $70.46 (yikes)!

They have an acrylic in amber, 2X2X1/4 at $47.19. They carry such an extensive selection of plastics that Im thinking that, if they cant get it, it may not be available.

Larry turning a segmented lexan pen?????????
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

from what i could find ,,they dont have but 2 colors in lexan. just acrylic has the colors??? yet in the guards that use it, they say they are lexan???? for my purpose acrylic can work too.

Larry Lexan is polycarbonate as opposed to acrylic. Quiet a bit of difference between the two. You can take a hammer to lexan and it has give and you might leave a mark. Not sure that acrylic wont just break under the same circumstances.

So it depends what your use is. Even when moulded i have only seen it clear. Lexan is a GE plastics brand name so i would think you can find polycarbonate from other plastic suppliers as well.

You can get sheets of polycarbonate with a tint in them from Mac Master you lucky American. But hey they ship to Canada too.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#polycarbonate-sheets/=2jsyja
    cheers

Go to a heavy equipment dealer and ask for Lexan, they most likely have it right on the shelf as they use it in a lot of cabs to protect the heavy equipment operators.

I use a bit of bullet proof glass in my shop to sharpen my tools on with the scary sharp method. I use 3/4 thick windshields out of locomotives which they give away when they crack or chip and the FRA makes them replace the windshield.

PS: Yes they are indeed bullet proof because trains tend to make nice targets for teenagers. In my career, we were shot at while on the Long Island Railroad.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

thanks rob and travis but i knew the lexan story and actually while in college rana test on lexan for the bullet proofness of it. 22 caliber at 30 ft just dented it heavly ..1/4" material. dont have any train depots nearby and 1/2" is a tad to thick.. thanks again will check on your link rob..